Chapter 26

"He wouldn't be so harsh on you if you would just listen," Miss H sighed, wrapping my swollen and torn feet as I had my entree to the medic wing revoked until further notice. And, well, no healing mage would be so kind as to seek me out. I might be able to corner James before he can get to his quarters. Humming I looked away from her skillful hands, staring at her from under my lashes as the words played in my head.

          "... If I listened, huh?" I smiled looking back to the gentle way she cared for my injuries. It was so strange, so foreign. There was no need to care for wounds that weren't life-threatening, you stopped the bleeding and found a mage, that was it, yet the way she had put ointment on them, the soft padding she put on my soles, the neatly woven wraps. She had done it before, that's for sure.

         "Yes, in fact, the professors would be far kinder as well," She pressed, neatly tucking away the end, her hands stilling as she met my carefully watching gaze. She had frozen- just like a lamb before a lion. "Lilith-" She tried, the actions have been so well executed, so masterfully done, as if second nature.

         "Rather than something so boring," I smiled pleasantly, my hand gliding down my leg, brushing against the utterly perfect treatment, I snatched her wrist. "I've got a question, just for you." Her gaze snapped to my not-quite-gentle grip on her, the instinct to run when caught one I knew all too well. "Have you ever heard of a doctor?" I asked, the word one not everyone knew, but the dread in her eyes told me more than any excuse she could come up with.

          "Lilith they are criminals you can not be asking-"

          "Oh yes, to act within another's domain without the qualification to do so, I know, it's more than an insult to a healer to have people running around treating whoever they feel like," I hummed, a grin growing on my lips as I pulled her towards me. "But you see, James had some a fun little thing a while back, surgery, the act of cutting into a body to manually manipulate flesh or bone. Yet, somehow, I've had this gnawing feeling that that man had never once in his life done something like that. A healing mage so powerful? One with an unusually large mana pool? What reason would he have to learn forbidden practices?"

          "Lilith," She warned, the firmness in her voice not hiding the shake to her shoulders. Everyone had a secret or two, and she was no different, but it was careless of her to show it. Before a monster no less.

         Staring at one another for a long moment, my grin was a pleasant smile once more, my grip was gone and my hand up, my other supporting my weight as I leaned back. "But who am I to question who Edward brings into his institution?" I opened my eyes ever so slightly her hand holding her wrist as she glared at me.

        "... Perhaps you need more than the ability to listen," She jabbed while I couldn't help but roll my eyes. What did she expect? She thought helping would, what? Result in some teacher-student bonding? After saying everything she has behind my back? As if, I won't trust her, not again.

          "Listen, do as you were told, obey," I mocked, opening my hand and closing it, "As if it would change anything." The idea was stupid, to begin with. Edward didn't like me because I won't let him walk all over me. Which is likely the reason he doesn't like father either. In fact, his hatred for dad was deep enough to call a king to shut him up.

         "It would, if you just show that-" Scoffing I threw one leg over the other, pushing off my arms and leaning toward her again, this time, she had taken a firm step back. Shutting her mouth herself.

         "From the moment I stepped into this blasted place I had a target on my back, I had figured it was because of my magic, and damn was that a good excuse for them to hide behind. But it wasn't my magic," At least not with the professors, "It's because I'm the child of Edward's least favorite person, and I couldn't fight back the same way he can, I'm not his equal, I'm not as skilled or experienced, and I can't just fight back," I glared, the idea one that had been clawing at me since I show the two interact.

           "It has nothing to do with your father," She shot, taking a breath and putting her hand on her hip. "It has nothing to do with your father," She tried again, softer this time. staring, I waited for her to continue, with a sigh, she carefully, hesitantly, sat next to me putting her hand on my shoulder. "You are a very gifted child,"

         "Hah!" I snorted, now more than irritated, "Gifted my ass," I slapped her hand away. "Just say you think I'm a freak and shut up," I glowered, "You think I don't know what you said about me? What you still say about me? I'm not stupid and I sure as blazen ain't incompetent," I couldn't help the harsh laugh on my lips as I got to my sore and throbbing feet, the weight sending scorching agony up my legs as I flinched, clicking my tongue and glaring at her again as she quietly waited. Dropping back onto my bed I clutched the edge of the covers.

         "... You are gifted, yes, but more importantly, you are dangerous Lilith," She hummed, her gaze unwavering.

          "Yes, so I keep hearing-" She cut off my prickly mockery.

          "This is not a game," She glared as I opened y mouth before closing it, "You refusing to listen to us, stacking achievements so fast, doing the impossible as you see fit, this is no game. You will be seen as a real and true threat if you do not begin to listen. Having someone as powerful as you so close is only good if you do as you're told. If you are left doing as you please, disregarding those above you, so blatantly, so publicly, you will end up dead. Your head will be removed and hung as an example," Staring at her from the corner of my eye, the words ones I didn't want to hear. Words that cut into my heart, into my soul.

        I was only an apprentice to protect myself yet everything had gone wrong ever since I made that choice. Maybe I should just run, send my friends and family letters, tell them not to look for me. Disappear in the night with Vitreus. Hide far far away from the seven kingdoms, from the war, from any and everyone.

        A mismatched gaze and a grin left me to blink, our staring ended as I looked to the ceiling, my hand on my chin at the idea. Kicking my legs I hummed, a smile growing, well, I'm sure it's better than here. "Oh, don't worry, I value my life far too much to be made into an example," I grinned, carefully getting to my feet as I threw my hands behind my head. A whistle on my lips as I began my way to the door. "I'd sooner kill myself then let some bastards hand my head," I shot over my shoulder with a wave.