Chapter 34

It was different this time. Not just the smaller dragon and the onesided fight its size allowed, but I was watched. From beginning to end. I did not struggle. I did not waver under my orders. But most importantly, I did what they couldn't. I dealt with not one, but two dragons single-handedly. 

         So, with my legs gently kicking and my gaze to the ceiling I sat outside of his office once again, waiting for whatever verdict they deemed appropriate. I could run, just in case it was execution, it wouldn't be too hard to get away, yet I was sitting right here. Waiting next to a student so desperate not to breathe in my direction I was convinced they were about to have a panic attack.

       Just before they could, the door opened, my keeper nodding me in with a tight jaw. Glancing him over as I got to my feet I raised a brow but he just offered a gentle shake of the head and an eye roll. So he wasn't allowed to say anything? Or were they not listening to him?

      With a soft hum, I walked past him, glancing at the few remaining elite magi that had not yet been deployed to the front lines. With a smile and a spine of steel, I kept my head up, not even glancing out the door that was likely to be my last escape.

        "Lilith Annebelle Windsor," It was slow, carefully pronounced, the apathy in Edward's voice leaving my fingers to twitch. "You will be getting the official title of dragonslayer in two moons, between now and then, we as the council will no longer be hushing the whispers you've created nor battling the rumors left in your wake. We will reiterate that you serve the council of mages, however, you must be prepared for those who wish to gain your favor," He spoke, his hands linked, seated at his desk with the other magi standing near the edges of his office.

         "... Will my name be properly released?" I couldn't help but ask, the thought of my father hearing of his child slaying a dragon without hearing it from me myself first not a pleasant one.

          "Indeed, you've invited your family to this celebration already." I couldn't help the wince I gave, my delays my own fault. Mama was going to kill me. "Consider it a blessing that you won't be suffering any consequences this time," With a tight smile I let out a low hum.

       "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" The words were soft, feathery even, but how quick his face soured left my smile to grow into a grin, my hands roughly finding the table at this inforamtion. They didn't deemed me useful enough to keep alive.

      "Lilith," His voice ground like a boot on a rocky shore, his dark eyes looking like a bolder that sank any ship that neared. A sigh escaping a now closed eyed Yastum, Averin merely humming as he crossed his arms and looked to the cieling. The three of them the only ones left.

        "Oh come on, Edward," I glanced at their reactions, it being in my best interest that they didn't look away but the line I was teedering on definately one that would make them do so. "I was sent into the jaws of a dragon while you stayed on the ground, safe, you sent a child too what you couldn't." His brow twitched as his fists clenched, only, rather than yell at me like I expected, he narrowed his eyes. Whether or not he gave the order, all council orders are his responsibility.

           "You are forgetting yourself, Lilith, you are not a magi within the council of mages, you are an apprentice. You do not get an opinion, you do not get a say, you do as you're told with a smile on your face," His voice deadly as I wavered under that hardened gaze, the tremble beneath my feet hardly contained by his rage. "Now you are to run fifty laps around the premises,"

        "Fifty-"

        "That was an order," He hummed, lifted papers beside him while I stilled, my eye twitching wildly but it was my own fault. I picked a fight to soon. I should ahve been patient. So, slowly, I straightened my back and offered a perfect sugery sweet smile. A glance being matched with a raised brow.

        "As you command," I offered a shallow bow before spinning on my feet, the smile melting as fast as it came as I glared at nothing in particular, slamming the door behind me. "What?" I growled at the student still waiting, visibly wilting they turned around in their chair while I stomped off to do as told.