Chapter 42

"I do not care," A gruff voice practically shook the very walls. "It was the last straw, she will be going to the battlefront." Grunting as I squinted at a familiar white ceiling I glanced at my hand, no needle in it as I flexed it. Looking around quietly I listened to the hardly hushed voices not far from the door.

          "Edward, she is a child, she is still learning. She does not yet know the weight of her actions, sending her to war will be sending her to her death." Here I had thought he already decided to send me.

          "That is my point! She does not know the weight of her actions and yet she continues as if we can control the backlash of every single thing she does. She will not die, Averin will be returning to his post with her by his side. She will simply be learning as an apprentice,"

         "You wish to scare her into compliance?" Raising a brow at the thought I simply stared at the ceiling. Well, if I know that.

         "Hardly, the girl's spine won't bend at a bit of blood." That had my attention on the door again, the voices quiet enough that I shouldn't have been able to hear them- but the mana they oozed so half hazardly really did make things easy on my part. "She'll discover just how lacking her self-control is and just how necessary it is for one of her strength to possess something she so sorely lacks,"

       Self-control? He just wants me to take a lesson in self-control? As if that's hard.

         "... You'll need to inform her guardians." Guardians? How long does he plan to have me shipped off? Gods just when Vixen has actual interest in me too. What a pain.

          "Oh, I already have. Her father is well aware that one more mistake would land her on the front lines. A letter is all he'll need. The head of house Windsor? Well, I only need to inform one guardian, anything after will be in that man's hands,"

         Uh oh. He doesn't plan on telling Mom. Dad's going to make me tell her then... I could always say I'm merely going on a vacation. No, she won't believe that. An adventure to get stronger? Soloing a beast plains? Ran away from my responsibilities?  .... Got in trouble and was sent to explore a barren piece of land? Oh, that one. She'd believe that one. Just tell her I'll have Vitreus with me and I'm good to go.

        "You're plotting," a softer-than-usual voice said as I was left to look at him, completely having ignored him to begin with. "... Lilith, you are aware of what you are doing, aren't you?" Same question different words. Over and over again. As if I clearly didn't understand what it meant to do my little stunts.

        "Worried you won't have anything to do after I die?" I shot with a lazy grin. His hands paused in his notebook- my medical book.

        "I've been told you haven't been wearing your monocle," He dodged my joke without missing a beat as I just looked back at the ceiling. "Your vision will continue to deteriorate if you do not wear your prescription,"

       "It's not like I'm blind," I mumbled not really caring. I had given up on it the moment it had begun to blur, spectacles, monocle, whatever the fuck, wasn't something I could wear freely to class nor was it something I could wear to, well, war now.

         "Lilith," He shot me a pointed look that left me to roll my eyes. "I will have a secondary one made, a more... Sturdy one." Oh? Was he hinting at my going to the front lines? Staring at him, who shouldn't have heard them, I couldn't help but sigh as I remembered the last declaration. Right, public humiliation. So it was common knowledge then. Boring.

         "I have a few suggestions then," I pushed myself to sit up, my body thankfully fine, just a heavy.

         "Oh? Do tell," He encouraged, his quill pausing on his order paper. Putting my arm on my knee I started to explain just what I wanted.