Chapter 27

"Hell no," She snorted while I opened my mouth before closing it. With a tight frown, I stared at the black cc that gave a faint purple glow as it rolled around in the swiveling obsidian oval. "I'm well beyond busy and you seem like you'd be one blazen of a problem child,"

         "I wouldn't exactly ask if I had some other option," I said with a roll of my eyes, my hands behind my head as I laid on my bed.

         "I'm sure you have plenty of options you just figured this one was the best," She called me out while I shot an annoyed glare at the orb, the obtain tightening around it and forcing it still.

       "I know about a dragon issue," I pressed instead, the woman well known for her obsession with the beasts.

           "Do you really think I didn't hear about a brat on dragon back being the first to kill a dragon themself in, what, a century? You should be happy I'm not hunting you down, little one," Her voice held a razor-sharp amusement as my fingers twitched in my hair. Sitting up I sighed.

         "I didn't exactly have a choice, someone had mettled with its mind or something, it was dead set on destroying everything in its path, and one of those things happened to be my dragon. I wasn't going to lose Vitreus to a dragon I hadn't even met before," I said honestly, glancing over to the sleeping beast who rested just his head on my massive bed, nothing else fitting anymore.

        "Hmmm," She dragged on, hopefully not deciding on my life, "Let's just say, you, and you alone do not bring that filthy council near my dragons, will have temporary permission to do as you please with the dragons. One rider to the next, yeah?" She hummed, her amusement dipping back to indifference.

          "Even if you say that-"

          "Oh, but don't think of abusing that, if I hear of a sudden killing spree of dragons, my dragons, you will know of a fate far far worse than any death you can imagine," my breathing hitched as an overwhelming force pressed her voice so close it was as if she had been whispering in my ear. "And don't even think of proving your skill to those with mortal power, yes? That's unnecessary killing, and I do not stand for the unnecessary death of my kin,"

       "... I'll be sure to remember that," I mumbled, staring at my hands as I fiddled with my fingers. Kin, huh? "But my life is at stake here, they're debating on whether or not to kill me before I turn on them,"

       "I don't doubt that, you aren't even on your sixteenth winter, child, yet you have a dragon, have slain a dragon, and I can only imagine made quite extinct potions known," Blinking, a reminder that she did not know quite everything.

         "... I had created a new potion," I said, flopping back on my bed and turning to my dragon's sleeping face.

          "Created? How fun, at your age no less, it certainly would be best for them to cut your head before you grew any further," She laughed lightly while I shot the crystal a glare but continued.

         "And they think I'm contracted to the holy beast Cervpia," I added with a little more force, her laughing dying down at the words.

         "Think?" She mocked making my brow twitch.

        "You and I both know what I am," I ground at the reminder, her amusement growing with yet another hum.

           "Now, I hadn't the slightest bit of a clue as to what you mean," I could hear her grin as demonic crackling could be heard. Opening my mouth I squeezed my eyes shut before sighing.

            "A merger, no, I bind the holy, so an executioner," my voice soft, the image drawn within my textbook having shown a bloodied beast hardly that of a person, with bits and pieces of animalistic features, roaring in an arena. A crowd cheering and many fallen in sight, only one still standing against the beast.

           "Ah ha," her indifference left me to grind my teeth as I covered my closed eyes with my forearm. "That's certainly a fate worse than any death you can imagine," the magic holding her cc up disappeared as it fell to the ground, bouncing lightly and rolling away. "Oh, don't throw a fit, when you truly do run out of options I may just come and get you,"

          "I don't want to die but that... I can't, to do such things, in empire no less, I..." Swallowing at the idea, killing criminals for sport, a punishment on the battlefield for those that thought to break a war crime, doing the bidding of some empire scum all over something I can't control. "Vixen, I'm an apprentice to the council," I sighed, dropping my arm above my head and looking at the crystal on the floor.

          "Horrible idea but I suppose that would increase the time keeping your neck intact," she hummed, her disinterest increasing but still, she didn't cancel her mana.

          "They treat me like a pet," I scoffed, glaring at the ceiling. "Do this, do that, I need more potions, when will you sell me your magic, they never shut up, and now, now that I've killed that dragon. Well, I had quite the punishment, forced to run for nearly three full days and sentenced to confinement within my chambers, exiled from the medical wing, but I know, they're talking with the monarchs, deciding whether or not I can be controlled, whether of not they'll be executing me," 

          "Oh? Are you done whining?" Shooting a glare at the orb she continued, "I am over eons older than you child, your bitching will not change anything nor will it leave me to pity you. If you do not like it, change it, if you can not change it, fight it. Death this, death that, child, even death has to be earned and you've no accomplishments to entice it. So what if you think you're self strong, so what if they think you a threat? You are just as they are, nothing but a moment in an eternity. If you care so much for your life, fight for it, show them that even if they wanted your head, they can't have it,"

           "You say it as if that's an easy ta-"

           "It is, why do you think despite my frequent killing of nobles and royalty they have not had me executed? They can not kill me, for I am stronger than any of them will ever be, to them I am a god. You, well, you have the qualities to become one, to them you're something dangerous and unknown, you just have to show them what it means to know. Stop being afraid of beings below you, a dragon does not bow before a snake,"

          "Vixen- I, I am not godly," I pressed, the image of her sitting on a tall throne staring uncaringly down at all that form me to bow easily coming to mind. "I am just a glass mage born as a capital noble,"

         "Hmm, I wouldn't say that, I would go so far as to say you're halfway to being something not even they could touch. Mortals are far more cowardly than you seem to think,"

            "I am a mortal! Just as they are! Vixen I am... I am not like you,"

            "How long do you plan to believe a lie like that?" Looking back to the crystal, my magic easily bringing it to me, the sinister voice calling something within me with those words, "We are both beings they fear, the only difference is, you still bow to them,"