Chapter 39

"Get up," the order groggy as the world shook, my eyes seeing nothing but moving blurs. "Up," He said, dragging me by my arm to do just that, only, my legs weren't listening as I limply hung from the arm throbbing in his grasp. "We aren't done, get up," This time a hand wrapped around my face as my neck couldn't hold my head up, his blurred face probably holding a glare.

        "I... can k-keep go-oing," I grumbled, trying to raise my free hand, the warm throbbing as the dagger couldn't even take form. Just like that, I was on the ground again with a grunt. Heaving as I stared at the big blue sky. A small groan left my mouth as the pointed glass in my hand was stomped on.

         "Then get up, prove it." Prove it. A slow warm grew in my legs and up my arms, as my body wouldn't listen anyway. But I didn't need it to listen. I still had mana, even if just a bit. The magic on my limbs moved for me as I rolled onto all fours, panting as I glared at the still him. "Up," He ordered again, as if I was a dog.

        Grunting I got onto shaky legs as my core grew warm at the strain I put it under. With my arms hanging and my back unwilling to straighten I blew my hair from my face and did as he wanted. I played a dog, baring my teeth and forcing myself forward. But I was far too tired and he far too fast. Moaning as my hands dug into the dirt beneath them I tried again, but he didn't wait this time. His boot in my stomach as I let out a soft cry.

          "You will be going to the front lines come the new moon, we'll see if you can still bare those teeth," He said, pulling his cloak back on and reaching for his bloodied eye, the cut deep and stretching across his face. A gargled laugh on my lips as he paused, his large blurry back stiff as I spit the blood in my mouth.

          "You've already made me a killer Edward, do you think more blood with change that? Me?" I grinned lazily the world being dyed in black spots.

          "Are you threatening me, Windsor?"

          "It sure wasn't a compliment," I sneered leaning into the tree I had hit, forcing myself to sit up. He was stronger than me. He was older. He had more experience. I couldn't win a fight. But I could make him bleed. I could show those he brought to humiliate me that even he was mortal. That even someone like me, like us, could drag him down into the mud.

         The last thing I saw before being consumed by the peaceful darkness was his firm steps toward me.

          I did not wake with a jump nor an annoyed face. Just pain. Agony. My very being screamed as my limbs throbbed and wounds screamed. I wasn't dead. Glancing around my room slowly I groaned as I tried to sit up, only to fall back into my pillow. Tired... I'm tired.

          A soft shrill having me look at a clear concerned beast. "Not dead," I threw half-heartedly, raising a shaky arm with a slanted smile. I just earned a growl as he shoved his head into bed with me. Grunting I wrapped around him, my everything hurting and head hazy.

           "The front lines huh..." I drew, the memory coming to mind with a throb. I was supposed to go to a side-line squad a while ago but it had been ambushed and I hadn't ended up going. I heard that the mercenaries weren't completely wiped out but I doubted he had properly thought about it. He said it in a rage really. But this was Edward, he would follow through with it.

           Rudy... Thinking of the red dragon I'm sure he was looking for I grunted, forcing myself to sit up and gaining the attention of my already annoyed dragon. "Shut up," I whacked his snout as he growled at me, demanding I lay back down, I took a breath as I forced myself out of bed. Crying out I fell to all fours. My legs useless under me. I couldn't go.

        With a deep breath, I just invited one that could go for me. With a red glow, Latro grew beside me, very quickly and very gently helping me back into bed as I groaned at each motion. "Dragon friend, hunted by humans?" It asked as I paused, a voice not something it has without me. Looking at where its claws rested, right above my mana core I raised a brow with a crooked smile.

       "Yeah, I don't want to lose her," I nodded softly. An annoyed growl sounded beside me yet, he climbed out of the bed, a circle glowing beneath him as he disappeared. Ah ha? He can control his own summons? Since when?

        Staring out the window Latro turned to me before following after, leaping through the glass that mended behind it, I watched it roll against the grass below. Quickly getting back to its feet it raced into the woods. Humming I covered my eyes, the darkness welcoming, and took a deep breath.

        Feeling my heart thump, my blood rushing every which way, I concentrated. Beyond the thumping, beyond each breath I took, each wound I could feel. Until I found it, the warm red mana racing through the woods. Leaping into trees and rushing after a dragon it had caught quite quickly.

         The path disturbed by those unwelcome but unaware of what was now following them. Humming as my hand tightened in my bed sheet, circles growing behind them, my senses growing and splitting. My body may not heal so quickly but my mana? My mana certainly does. Putting my free hand over my core, as strong familiar mana pulses lit up the dark world full of the gentle hues of trees and plants.

          To be so close... I really must have been out for at least three hours.

         Their little group was not the typical dragon squad, smaller, just a few professors and two elites with a snitch of a guide. I guess with her chained it made sense. But it had me grinding my teeth nonetheless. She was injured, restrained, and scared. But even still, a dragon was a dragon.

          And that dragon was mine.

         Without much thought, I was watching from above, the colors turning to people as the world was lit once again. A soft growl rang in my ears as I smiled, before Vitreus pushed ahead, uncaring to hide his shadow and just as easily catching their attention.

         "Lilith!" My name rang through my mana as I hummed with a grin. Uncovering my eyes and welcoming my own sight back. Glancing at my desk, herbs and tinctures scattered about. With a grunt I was pushing myself to sit up. My body roaring at the effort and as motivated as I was I found myself falling back into bed.

        I guess I'll just have to wait.