Chapter 28

It had been a bust. She wasn't going to harbor me. At least not right now. Maybe if I was on death's door. Frowning I narrowed my eyes at my ceiling, the obsidian orb in my hand being thrown harder than I had meant to, slamming against the tall ceiling and shattering. Spraying shards over the room as if they were raining. The shards that neared me froze, sighing, they fell harmlessly around me. Absorbing into the cold tail wrapped around me as I leaned against my dragon's side, half on my bed.

         "They mean to make me obey," I scoffed as he slowly opened his eyes to stare at me, rolling I draped myself over his large muzzle with a groan. "They want to turn me into a weapon Vitreusssss," I whined, hugging his jaws as steam blew into my abdomen. "Yes, you as well, you're an extension of me after all," He rolled his eyes at the words, leaving me to grin.

         "Fine fine, Latros can be my extension then." He gave a weak growl, softly baring teeth I could not see, "They are an extension of me, you are my other half, better?" I corrected with a hum, earning a half-hearted huff. "You can not complain, I created you, you are my magic, unless you're going to start a disaster you will remain a part of me," I rolled my eyes, sprawling over his muzzle with my back. The warm hum forced my eyes open as I shot him a glare. "Oh do not start a dis-"

         "Lilith," The voice was unwelcome as I paused my scolding to look at the door. Deciding against it I just glared at my near-rebellious dragon. Unfortunately, he opened the door himself.

          "It is wildly inappropriate to be walking into a student's dorm, in fact, you should not even be near them," I stated flatly, staring at him upside-down while he paused for a small simple moment. A moment I wished had been an eternity.

          "You are my apprentice, I am free to enter your chambers." There should be a law against that. "Have you or have you not made progress on your new potion?" He easily ignored what hsould be a pressing matter as I groaned and closed my hands, gently tucking the stolen cc under the back of my shirt.

          "I haven't even been allowed ot leave my room," I huffed opening my eyes to find him standing relatively close, glancing at the glaring dragon I laid across. The dragon trying to bare his teeth.

           "Did you not previously inform me of your required 'quiet time' while in the process of creating a new potion?" He stared down at me while I blinked, the words certinaly sounding familiar. Oh my, I did say that huh?

        With a sheepish smile I carefully rolled onto my stomach, an orb sliding between the front of my thighs and Vitreus muzzel while I scratched my cheek. "I've got the concept down, theoredically I should have the right recipe however I haven't had the chance to begin experiments on my new found research," I tried to slyly escape the conciquences of my own actions but he raised an unamused brow.

          "Then you will have no problem begining your experiments," He turned while I jumped at the readiness.

         "Am I- Am I allowed to leave my dorm?" I asked excitedly while he paused at my door, hand hovering over the doorknob for all but a moment before he turned to me with a chillenly natural smile.

           "You are more than welcome to the lab with a proper escort." Oh this mother fu-

             "I'm no more than a dog to him," I deadpanned, watching the deep blue liquid slowly drip out of the coiled boiler. My escort laying not far from me, not bothering to look away from the book he was reading dispite the occational snore.

            "More like a work horse," He hummed form beneath his book, his hands under his head and no care in his voice.

            "Why are you even here," I hissed, glaring at him while the young elite lazily pulled the book from his face.

           "Remember the part about me being on probation?" He asked with an eyeroll, tossing the book aside like it was trash, "Who better to deal with the brat than someone not allowed to do anything?"

          "Brat for a brat, hah?" I scoffed, closing the valve while his brow twitched.

           "You have to know I am about to have my coming of age," He shoot, pushing himself off the pile of pillows he had collected over the past few days.

          "Key word, about," I rolled my eyes, an extremely unwelcome hand reaching over my shoulder to grab the vial I had just filled. Glaring at him while he held it to the light I bit my tongue, the harshest of things just barely caught.

          "This is supposed to amplify mana, isn't it?" Unfortunately, after James decided to be a fucking snitch I had to properly make the potion, and by properly, I mean mass produce to sell to greedy war driven assholes.

           "No, that's still in trial, this just replenises lost mana," I said smiling pleasantly, snatching it out of his grubby hands. "And do be careful, I haven't exactly figured out how not to overload someones core," I shot with a glare.

          "It what?" He shook his hand like it was filithy at the words.

          "Oh calm down, you'll probably just have a burst, worst case, you shatter your core, but hey, not much of a loss is it?" The sarcasm was apparently not thick enough as I was very suddenly grabbed by the back of my neck. Hissing as he dragged me back I glared up at him while he looked over my face, ready to kill.

            "The blazen you doing making something that can shatter cores?" He asked slwly, harshly, while I carefully examiated his own express, suprised that he didn't know about that. I had made it very clear to Edward that a standard magic core was not designed to withstand a mana overload and only that of a nature mage and a glass mage could survive a burst with minimum to no after effects.

          "Well..." I began, wondering if I could remove the tight grip that reach almost all of the way around my throat, "I was ordered to," I said honestly, his grip tightening before loosening.

         "Orders, huh?" He scoffed, backing off while I ran my hand over the back of my now throbbing neck, carefully watching him and his stupid mood swings. "You'd do anything if you were ordered to, wouldn't you?"

         "Careful there Averin, you might not like the answer to that," I warned icily, his gaze snapping to me while I didn't waver under it. It was a question he didn't ask to be answered but a nagging gnawing voice in the back of my head was crying out to remind him. Remind him that I did not honestly and farily become an apprentice to magi so powerful, that I made a deal like any other. His opinion of me has been far to high recently anyway.

               "Oh, but don't worry, this is still in its trial phase too, so that little side effect should be removed by the time I'm actually selling it," I smiled, closing my eyes and turning back to the desk. "Soldiers aren't worth much without magic after all,"