🏒Power Move ⛸️

"Can I have that?" 

Taking a seat next to Jeff, who was smoking into oblivion, the other man simply raised his eyebrows and asked, "I assumed you didn't smoke. Why start now?" 

With a shrug, Xian sighed deeply and answered, "True. I don't. At least not recently. But back then, before joining this team, as a young boy, I did all sorts of sh*t."

Taking a deep drag, Jeff held out his cigarette for Xian, and when he was within its reach, Jeff pulled his hand away and, with the other, hit the back of Xian's head. 

"Ow! What was that for?" Xian glared while Jeff smirked at the younger man's antics. "That's what you get when you do something foolish." 

"But you're smoking!" Xian pointed like a petulant child, and Jeff shook his head. "Yeah... and you're a kid." 

Snuffing the cigarette out, Jeff popped a mint into his mouth, and this one he offered to Xian as a truce, and the latter gladly accepted it. 

"Aren't you going home?" Placing his elbows on the step behind him, Jeff leaned and admired the stars above. 

Xian placed his elbows on his knees and said sadly, "No." 

"Why not?"

"Because Az..." Correcting himself, Xian continued, "Wangji is there."

Raising his eyebrows once again, Jeff inquired, "And that's a bad thing?"

"No no..." Raking his fingers through his hair, Xian answered, "He's the only person who can give me solace at this point of my life, and to be honest, right now, I do not wish to be placated. I need wrath coursing through me to get by tomorrow. I fear that if I meet Wangji now, I will want to feel his warmth. So much so that it would make me want to quit feeling this horrible." 

"I have known Ji forever. You know how he has helped me in the past. Xian, you don't need me to tell you that Ji is by far the most genuine and generous soul you'll ever meet. He has his flaws, but his heart is precious."
Jeff's statement was straightforward, and even though the underlying implications were steadfast, Xian knew what the other man was trying to imply.

"I respect Wangji. I adore his friendship. I probably will never meet someone like him. But at this point in my life, my heart is shrivelled up. My soul is crushed, and my entire existence is not in any position to commit to anyone at this moment, Jeff."

Jeff was quiet, and Xian thought that would be the end of their nightly talk, but that was far from it.

"You're strong, Xian. A lot stronger than me. You chose to fight this head-on, and there's nothing more courageous than that. You didn't try to hurt yourself the way I did. Every time I see you, my heart swells with pride. Don't let that spark diminish. You don't need anyone, but at the same time, it's lovely to lean on that one soul when the world comes hard on you."

Subtly wiping the corner of his eyes, Xian grinned and said, "Someone today is acting like a big brother."

"That's because I never had a younger brother. From this day onwards, you are my younger brother. Chris is your family." Turning to face Xian, Jeff nudged his shoulder and declared, "And now you're a part of our family."

As much as this day had been a whirlwind for Xian, those words brought hope and love into his heart. He didn't have to say any words of comfort; his tears were open for his brother to see.

With a grunt, Jeff pulled himself up to stand and held out his hand for Xian to follow his pursuit. Just as they were about to head inside, the former narrowed his eyes and threatened mildly, "Don't you dare tell Chris about me smoking here."