Running on the Beach at Night

Chapter 1-Graduation Day

"I would like to present to you, the Class of 2009. Congratulations to all you students, you made it." Mr. McRight blabbed on and on. In my honest opinion think he just wanted to torture us just a little bit longer.

It was finally the day-the day I would start over, as a high school graduate. Don’t get me wrong, I would miss Oak Bluff. Even though it isn’t exactly the ideal place to grow up if you know what I mean. Oak Bluff is a small populated area in Martha's Vineyard, the downfall is that you know everyone and everyone knows you and everything that you are doing. That isn’t always a good thing. Especially when you’re best friend is a hell raiser.

My school is just about the same as every other high school in America. We have the popular kids, the jocks, the band geeks, your average regular geeks, rich, kids, Goths, and then there's me and Izzy Bradford, my best friend. We stay mutual, we try our best to stay in-between the clichés. Most everyone likes us, well most everyone likes Izzy. I, on the other hand, am extremely quiet and shy. Let’s just say, I am not the easiest person to get to know.

As we stood to receive our diplomas, I glance at Izzy Bradford and realize that this one summer will be our last to spend together. It would be the last nights we would raise hell through the streets of Oak Bluff, Massachusetts. The last summer that would be spent watching Sex in the City marathons while pigging out on junk food. We would no longer be able to fantasize about marrying Dr. Shepherd off of Grey’s Anatomy together. It would be the last summer that I let Izzy sneak me out of my home to go ride around with cute, much older boys that only had eyes for her. Of course, those particular nights weren’t the best but they were still memories- memories that I would never forget. I start thinking about all the fun times we had together. I feel a huge lump in my throat thinking about the day Izzy became my best friend.

No, no, no! I told myself I wouldn’t cry. This is supposed to be the happiest day of my childhood life. Izzy is probably over there itching to rip off this stupid robe and begin celebrating while I am on the verge of flooding the whole place with stupid tears! I guess that was one of the differences between Izzy and me.

She was very outspoken, and rambunctious. I remember the first day I saw her like it was just last week. She had moved here from New York City in the third grade because her father had gotten a job offer as Oak Bluff's Pediatrician. Izzy was the new girl; I was the geeky kid with four eyes. Yes, four eyes. I thought she would have never looked twice at me. Her first week at school, I would catch her looking at me mysteriously at the lunch table. I would ignore it, ignored a lot of things. Finally one day, we were at recess. Izzy had already become the queen of the huge fort in the middle of the playground. Only the people they allowed on the fort got to play on the fort. I was sitting on the huge log located right next to the fort while eating my midday snack.

Minding my own business like always, a chubby boy I didn’t know walked up to me and started picking on me. He pushed me off the log backwards, calling me "four-eyes". Not long after this happened, Izzy jumped off the fort and ran over to us.

“Preston Daniel Bradford... If you do not leave her alone I will tell mom when we get home. And you will be in so much trouble!"