Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)

Chapter 30

As I sat in the passenger seat of Carter’s nice BMW, I watched him. Every move he made, my eyes watched. Part of me felt like, I kind of sort of, maybe had a crush on him. It had been three days since our fiasco with Danny, I hadn’t heard from him or seen him. Izzy had invited me over a couple of times, but I declined. I think deep down she knew why, she just didn’t want to admit it.

I studied Carter’s bruised jaw, and then shook my head. “I still can’t believe he did that to you!”

He glanced over at me and laughed, “Well, you can believe it baby. I have battle wounds to show.” He ran his hands across the bruise, “…But you know I’m a tough guy. I can handle a little bit of pain.”

I laughed at his ending comment. Carter couldn’t stand the pain of a needle, much less a punch in the face. I remember perfectly, I had to take Carter to the doctor one time during our senior year. I seriously thought he was going to cry when the doctor pulled out a needle on him.

Even though Carter acted like the tough guy, he was no where near it. I would just call him the pretty boy, if it were up to me. Him being all bad and tough was just an act.

We finally stopped in front of the post office. I looked down at the big envelope that was lying in my hand. Am I sure this is what I want to do?

I hesitated as I put my hand on the door handle of his car. I looked over at Carter, “Samantha, go.”

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to mail the contract just yet. It was all happening so fast, what if I changed my mind?

My mind knew exactly what I needed to do, it knew what was best for me; but my heart kept telling me to wait. Wait for him. He was liable to change his mind. Right?

At that moment, I snapped out of my gaze and I looked to Carter, who was leaned over me to open the door since I wouldn’t.

Carter gave me a little push on the shoulder, “Your being a pussy.”

I winced at the word he used. I never understood why guys had to say that word. Why not, your being a wuss, or your being a coward? It had to be that word.

“I’m not sure Carter.” I looked over at him, and frowned. “What if everything goes wrong?”

“What could possibly go wrong?” He asked in a more serious tone.

“Everything.” I answered him quietly, knowing I was only making up excuses.

At that moment, Carter quickly grabbed the envelope out of my hand. I tried to reach back out for it, but he was already out of the car, walking up the stairs of the post office.

After a couple of minutes Carter was walking out of the place grinning. I watched him as he jumped back in the car, “Carter! Why did you do that?”