Ch. 10: Layers of the Heart

"Mom! Look over there!!"

The female's blue eyes opened at the voice of her daughter. The young girl pointed towards a little house on the lake. The cottage seemed very at home in the forest surrounding it. Aoi's eyes sparkled in amazement, a huge smile on her face. "When I grow up, I want to live in a place just like that!"

"And you will," Diarmuid spoke, he was in front of Jean in the small boat they rented. "You just have to work towards it and you'll have a house like that before you know it."

A soft smile appeared on Jean's face as she enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. The sun shined down onto them, the light reflecting off the crystal blue lake. It truly was a beautiful sight, Jean could almost feel the cold breeze brushing up against her cheeks. But, alas this was a memory, a dream, nothing more. Her eyebrows tilted up slightly, turning towards Dia as a small frown was placed on her face.

The Lancer gently grabbed her hand, "My love, what's wrong?" he questioned, worry in his voice. His thumb brushed her hand in a soothing manner. In response, Jean shook her head slightly, a small smile breeaking out.

"It's nothing, Dia. I'm just a worry wort is all."

Blue eyes fluttered open and was immediately confused at the sight of golden mist above her. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she raised a hand to gently touch the mist. It dispersed at her touch, making her somewhat sad as the mist was truly a beautiful sight. Another hand grabbed onto hers tightly, shocking her as she didn't feel another presence in the room. The callouses that lay on the hand made a comforting feeling erupt in her, she recognized this feeling. Her eyes teared up as she turned to her left.

Diarmuid sat next to her.

He sat there, a worried look in his golden eyes. His eyebrows tilted up in worry, his lips parting slightly to tell her something. It was almost like she was back home. Like she had just laid down from a rough day working or if she had been sick and Dia was taking care of her.

"You're here," was the first thing that was said. Her voice was dry but still held hope in her voice her eyes tearing up slightly. "You're really here."

A comforting smile stretched across the Lancer's face as the woman sat up. "Of course I am. I can't leave you on the battlefield alone. You'd just get yourself killed," he spoke. "You're even on bedrest, M'lady. How long has it been since you've been summoned? A month?"

A smile broke on Jean's face at his teasing, she carefully sat up. Her body was sore, her body feeling like a huge weight was on it. "Please, it's been longer. I'm not that accident prone."

"Considering who you're Master is at the moment I highly doubt that, love."

The two took a moment to appreciate each others presence. It was comforting, having your spouse right next to you. Jean didn't even think of the worry she felt for humanity or the fact that Aoi wasn't with them right now. She didn't even think of how Diarmuid got to this time in the first place. All she thought was that he was here. He was here and she couldn't be more happy.

Diarmuid moved from the stool climbing into bed with his wife. He helf her in his arms, his body finally relaxing after months of restlessness. He wrapped his arms around her, her head laying on his chest. His fingertips gently stroked her arm, calming her and taking whatever worry she was feeling away. "I've missed you," he spoke, his eyes closing as the two cuddled.

"I've missed you too," Jean mumbled in his chest. She has always felt safe in his arms. His heartbeat steadily calming her own. Her eyes closed, feeling comfort from the male as they laid there together. Her small smile turned into a frown, she hugged him tighter. "You're not supposed to be here though..." the grip she had on him fell as she sat up in her bed. She wrapped her arms around her legs, a saddened look in her eye.