Ch. 11: The King is Dead

"Wait, he's dead?" Jean questioned, confusion lacing her voice as she looked at Siduri.

"Yes, he passed last night. We could hardly believe it but it happened," the advisor was holding back tears as she spoke of the late King.

"I refuse to believe that it was that easy to kill him," she responded. "I mean if it was than I would've just made him work harder in the War!"

"I agree!" Romani's voice could be heard over the communicator. "If King Gilgamesh died by overworking himself than I'm not that far behind!"

"Exactly! He must've been like kidnapped or something. Even if that solution isn't as likely too," Jean spoke, annoyance clear in her voice. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she tried to think of some other way the King must've died or had been taken. "Merlin and I would've died otherwise, right? He was the one supplying Mana to us...however little it was..." she mumbled the last bit.

"Correct, I apologise for my outburst. I had lost my head for a little bit. Ms. Siduri, did anything strange happen after our party left?" Merlin asked, her turned towards the woman. Siduri casted a glance to the ground, her eyebrows furrowed as she attempted to think of anything that could've happened.

Her eyes widened as if a lightbulb lit up in her head, "Actually, we've had an increase number of deaths in Uruk. Not counting the King, it's as if death itself has started to swallow us whole."

"That's unnatural, even by the Grail's standards," Diarmuid spoke. "Is it possible that something might be causing these deaths? Between the deaths of the people and Gilgamesh, surely something is a matter?"

"I agree," Jean turned to the two goddesses who had been staying quiet to the side. "Is this any of your Alliance's doing? I mean, you two are here but is it possible that Gorgon had found another way to kill the people of Uruk?"

"That's not likely. However, it is very possible that this is Ereshkigal's handiwork," Quetzalcoatl said, shocking Ishtar as she spoke.

"Ereshkigal..." Jean's eyebrows furrowed as she thought of Sumerian Myth. "Isn't...Isn't that the goddess of the Underworld? The one who killed you?" she pointed to Ishtar, who's cheeks flare up in rage.

"She had a lucky shot!" the girl yelled, defending herself. "She was lucky that's it!" she crossed her arms a huffed in annoyance, turning her head to the side and glaring at the wall.

"Uh-huh."

"It is very possible that one of Ereshkigal's spirits have taken King Gilgamesh to the Underworld. That seems to be the only plausible explanation," Merlin spoke, "but..." he trailed off, unsure of how to phrase the next few words.

"Wait, wait, wait..." Fujimaru stopped the Caster, "I thought that the Three Goddess Alliance was Gorgon, Quezalcoatl, and well...you," he motioned towards Ishtar who looked dumbfoundedly at him.

"I'm not a member."

"Wait, even if you're not. How did Ereshkigal even get summoned?" Mash questioned looking around the group for an answer.

"Must've been at the same time as Ishtar," Jean replied, shrugging slightly as if it wasn't a big deal. She looked towards the black-haired goddess, "For all we know she could've been using your body as well."

"What?! So she could've been using my body without me knowing?!" Ishtar took a few steps back, looking down at her body as if it was going to suddenly change to Ereshkigal's.

"This is good news!" Merlin spoke joyfully. "If Ereshkigal was involved in this, it means that we might have a chance to save King Gilgamesh. Do we still have his body?" the white Caster turned to the King's advisor.