Ch. 13: Time Is A Fickle Thing

"Mrs. Jean are you alright?"

The girls eyes snapped towards the Master in front of her. "Huh?" She furrowed her eyebrows slightly before it registered what he had said. "Oh, yes. I'm alright."

The black-haired male looked worriedly towards her before nodding, "Alright. I'm gonna head to bed. With the start of the plan tomorrow, I'm sure we'll all need our sleep." He stood up from the ground and started to walk away before stopping. He turned to her, "You know, what I had said about Allura...I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about. I was thrown into this after all."

Jean faintly nodded, hearing the words but still not believing them. As much as she hated to admit it, Fujimaru had a point. Why did Allura not warn her? Her father died. Even Elias did a better job at warning her than she had.

"Be careful who you trust. What is that even supposed to mean?" She mumbled to herself. She stared at the ground, her hands in fists with each other and the more she thought about it the tighter her grip became.

The Wielder closed her eyes, however when she did all she could see was her fathers face staring at her. His eyes hollow and his face painted into one of shock. It haunted her dreams relentlessly after the first Grail War she fought in. Now it was haunting her again but for a different reason. If Allura had told her, would she have been able to stop it? Would she be there a second sooner and stopped Kirei from plunging the knife? She didn't know. She never would.

"I thought you would be resting for tomorrow."

At the voice, the girl quick stood up and unclenched her fists. Any sign of the turmoil in her disappearing. "Yeah I was on my way," she spoke, crossing her arms. "I had been talking to Fujimaru and I guess I didn't notice how late it had gotten."

She went to move towards the ziggurat but Gilgamesh stopped her. "We need to talk."

"I don't believe we do. We already know the plan for tomorrow and that's all we ever needed to discuss," she said, her voice firm. She gave him a side glare.

The King turned to her, crossing his arms as his lips tilted down into a frown. "While you may not be part of this time you are-"

"-in my kingdom and therefore should treat you with respect," Jean finished his sentence, unimpressed. "Honestly I've heard that same speech from the Gilgamesh I fought."

"Yes that is what I wanted to speak with you about."

Her face turned to one of surprise and she turned to him fully, now interested. "And what exactly did you want to speak with me about?"

"You hate me."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I made that clear the first time I saw you."

"You didn't let me finish."

"Have I ever?"

Gilgamesh took a deep breath in and out before speaking. "While in the Underworld, the knight you are with, explained to me what my previous self may have done to you. He explained to me as well as did a terrible job at threatening me."

Jean uncrossed her arms and avoided eye contact with Gilgamesh looking almost exasperated. "Honestly, is there anyone he didn't tell it to?" She questioned herself, slightly annoyed. "Whatever he might've said, yes I was pissed off. Yes I hate you. No it is not going to cause trouble with fighting alongside you. And finally, yes, I did indeed say no to a marriage proposal from him despite him so called offering me everything he had."

"How my younger self found you attractive is beyond me."

"Pretty sure he just liked controlling me but whatever," she shrugged.