II: Low Voltage

CHAPTER TWO Genevieve

CHAPTER TWO
Genevieve

THE NEXT MORNING, I MADE IT into Scoop's Ahoy around ten minutes before my shift started. Robin was already standing at the front counter, putting in fresh tubs of ice cream into the freezer. Even though my start was early, she had been the one to open the shop an hour previously. The floor had been brushed from top to bottom, and the tables were cleaner than ever. Within the next hour, however, they would probably be sticky, and the floor would be covered in crumbs.

"No car accidents or reckless drivers?" Robin smirked.

I shook my head, laughing. "A smooth journey, thankfully."

"That's good," she nodded. "Dingus actually came in on time this morning. He's out emptying the bins at the minute. He gets the best tasks."

"If he was in charge, he'd make me do it," I laughed. "Not many customers yet?"

"Nah, but they come flooding in after lunch time," Robin replied, taking a lollipop from the side and opening it. "Do you want one?"

"Do you have strawberry?"

"Sure do," Robin said, throwing it over. I caught it firmly in one of my hands.

"All those years of tennis did you good," Robin laughed.

"It did," I nodded, walking behind the till. Steve came in, holding two empty bins. As soon as he saw me, his neutral face dropped straight away.

"Smile, dingus. Your best friend is here," Robin teased.

Steve glared at Robin, then back at me. "Why are you here early?"

"I was always early at my old job. Figured it was a good habit to keep," I shrugged, biting off a section of my lollipop. I had picked up that habit.

Steve sighed deeply. "I'm going to put these back into the outer room. Have you checked for deliveries, Atkins?"

Atkins? Since when did he call me by my last name? He knew what my first one was. Even if he had somehow forgotten it, Robin had used it a number of times.

"No, I haven't. I have only just got in," I replied.

"Well instead of standing around here chit chatting you should be getting things done," he replied. "Robin and I have done our part. Go and do yours."

Excuse me? Who the hell was he speaking to like that?

"Steve," Robin said, furrowing her eyebrows. "Don't be rude."