VII: Grease Lightning

CHAPTER SEVEN Genevieve

CHAPTER SEVEN
Genevieve

It was late on a Thursday when Steve and I had decided to head into the theatres to watch Grease, the movie that had been the talk of Hawkins all summer! It was nice to go with Steve. It was really great having a boy best friend. I remember the day I met him, wearing my favourite pair of roller blades. I just imagine how different things would have been if I had never done that.

"We're going to have to sneak in. Apparently it's a PG-13," Steve said to me, tying his shoe laces.

"Sneak in?" I asked. "How do you even do that?"

Steve laughed at me. I shot him an unimpressed look. "You're such a goodie."

He rubbed my head, but I shoved him away. "Well, I'm willing to sneak in with you, aren't I?"

I looked in the mirror, fixing my hair behind my ears. Steve walked over and put a peace sign above my head. I turned to him again, swiping his hand. "You're being irritating."

"You'll love me again when I start dishing out the candy," he teased. "Plus, you can't be too mean otherwise I'll eat all of the m&m's."

I giggled. "Sorry, Stevie. I didn't mean to hurt your fweelings."

"That's it. I'm eating all the m&m's for real now," he said, slouching on my bed.

I chuckled. "I hope we don't get in trouble with all of this candy. If we get caught, we could be banned."

"If you get caught with the candy, I'll just say you forced me to carry it," Steve said, grabbing a lollipop from his pocket.

"Nuh-uh. If we go down pal, we go down together."

He smirked. "Together forever?"

"Even after life," I chuckled, putting a cap on my head. Steve squinted to read the letters.

"Why does your cap say Cape Cod?" He asked, jumping off my bed and lifting it off my head. "What a funny sounding place."

"It's a place in Massachusetts. My family and I went there last summer. A nice boy called Ben sold it to me, for the memories."

"Ben?" Steve asked, putting the hat on his head. "Who is Ben? Is he your penpal?"

"No," I laughed. "That boy goes fishing all day. He has no time to write."