XXIV: The News

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR Genevieve

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
Genevieve

I DIDN'T LIKE THE FEELING OF HAVING a shift in Family Video this early in the morning. Plus, it didn't help that I barely got any sleep last night, fuelled by my confrontation with Steve. It was getting harder and harder to see him so regularly, when all I wanted was to distance myself from him. It seemed the world, of course, had other plans.

On the bright side, Robin had also been called in for a shift, so at least I wouldn't have to work in any awkward silence. Today, I was spending most of my time out at the back while Robin and Steve spent time on the shop floor. I didn't want Robin to think I was avoiding her too. I hope did didn't. She'd been nothing but amazing to me ever since everything had happened. I understood she was trying to keep the peace, and didn't want to be stuck in the middle.

"Hey, Gen," she said, wandering into the back room. "We could use some of your help making this stand for the front of the store."

"Yeah, coming now," I say to her in a pleasant tone. I'm trying to hide how tired I am.

"You look like death warmed up," she said. Robin was always so honest, even if it was brutal.

"Thanks," I say sarcastically.

"Sorry," she replied sheepishly. "We were just talking about our morning movie."

"What did you end up choosing?"

"Doctor Zhivago," she smiled. "Doomed love."

"Very fitting," I said, shaking my head, sighing.

Robin chuckled a little bit. "Come on, Gen. Let's go and put it on."

I set the boxes down and followed her to the shop floor. Steve was beginning to put together the stand at the front of the store. I tried not to pay attention to him, but it was hard. I sighed hard, turning towards the VHS player. "Alright, pass me the movie."

Robin passed it over. "This movie is great. Also, Julie Christie is b-b-bonkers hot in this. Like seriously, the most beautiful creature I've ever seen."

I chuckled, switching the tv on. A reporter showed up on the screen, which wiped the smile from my face.

"We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name..."

Everything around me suddenly froze. I stared at the screen blankly, and the feeling of déjà vu washed over me. The news reporters continued to speak.