XI: Steve's Confession

CHAPTER ELEVEN Genevieve

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Genevieve

After the mall had officially closed for the day, Erica had been given the all clear to travel through the air vents and open the back doors, where we would all enter. When we stepped outside, the air was still warm. I was thankful the sailor suits we had to wear at least kept us cool. Dustin walked ahead with Steve, while I hung back with Robin. She was carrying a pair of binoculars around her neck, and a walkie talkie in her hand. I carried my lilac satchel on my back, which contained the letter Betty had given to me earlier. It looked like I wouldn't be home until later on.

"God, I hope this works," Robin sighed. "How bad would it be if the whole thing just failed miserably."

"Robin, it's not going to fail," I reassured her. "I think, all in all, it's a pretty reliable plan."

"Thanks, Gen," she said kindly. "I mean, you have your head pretty screwed on so it means more to me coming out of your mouth than it would coming out of Steve's."

I laughed. "Meh. He's not a complete airhead. Only sometimes."

"I thought you'd use any excuse to talk shit about Steve Harrington."

I shrugged. "Well, most of the time, I would."

Robin gave me a curious look. I know I had just walked into a conversation about my past with Steve. Part of me felt bad that she didn't know about it, but then again, I'd never truly been in a position where I needed to tell her.

"I don't hate him, if that's what you're thinking," I said honestly. The truth was, I didn't. I didn't hate anybody. Not even my dad for leaving my mum and I behind.

"I was convinced you did," Robin chuckled.

I sighed deeply. "We were friends."

Robin looked like her eyes could pop out of her face with the look she was giving me. "You were what? When was this?"

"We met in the summer of 78. We were friends until the start of freshman year. Best friends."

Robin looked confused. "Jesus. Did you have a massive fall out or something? An argument that broke your friendship in two?"

"He just stopped speaking to me," I said, trying to hide the fact that it put a hole in my heart. "It just- I'd see him around school all of the time. All of freshman year all I did was wonder what I did wrong. I remember how much time I spent wishing we'd had an argument over something. That I could have made a little sense of, but I got nothing. Radio silence. He just pretended that I didn't exist. Sorry, I don't mean to bother you with all of this."

"No, no! You aren't bothering me. I just can't believe what I am hearing. I just thought you hated each other because he nearly crashed into your car, which, by the way, is a completely valid reason to hate someone."