XXVI: Bonds

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX Genevieve

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
Genevieve

THE COP CARS DIDN'T STOP AT REEFER RICKS, so thankfully I was able to keep my anxiety together temporarily. Although, knowing my luck, that would last all of five minutes. Once the cop cars had passed, we had decided to leave Reefer Ricks in order to avoid suspicion. Even though I was interrogated last year by those maniac guards, I would definitely not hold up as well the second time around.

"Stay safe, man. Stay low," Dustin told Eddie, giving him a reassuring pay on the shoulder.

"We're here for you if you need anything," I added. After Robin and Max gave him half smiles (and Steve another pathetic wave), we headed back out to Steve's car. I let Dustin sit in the front while Max, Robin and I squeezed into the back.

"Poor guy," Robin said, breaking the silence. "If I was wanted for murder, I'd flee the country and live out my life in a little woodland forest with nobody else to bother me."

"That sounds like an appealing option," I said to Robin. She laughed.

"You are right, it's shitty," Max added.

"People in Hawkins are going to latch onto it," I sighed. "It's like whenever there's trouble, they always want to blame someone. Churchgoers were preaching in the streets about how players of Dungeons and Dragons were apparently in a cult connected to Satan himself. So, Dustin, do tell me what hell is like."

Dustin laughed. "People say anything these days."

"It's the ones that bring up faith when it's convenient to them that really annoy me," Robin replied.

"Preach," I say. "No pun intended."

Everyone laughed, except Steve. I noticed his silence especially. The sadness in the pit of my stomach deepened; it had been there since our argument earlier. I never knew where I stood with him and I never guessed what he was thinking. I felt like I didn't really know him as well as I thought. Communication was the difficulty. I always wanted to talk, and he was never ready. I was tired. I had tried. It was his turn now.

"Hold on, slow down a bit," Max said. We were driving near the trailer park where she lived. "Why are there more police cars?"

She pulled me out of my daydream. I looked around. There were more police cars, flashing lights, a coroner's van. Residents were lurking around, staring at the cars from a distance. Everything was busy and chaotic. Had something else happened?

"Isn't this where the crime scene where Chrissy died?" Robin questioned.

"The coroners van was here this morning and I watched it go," Max told her. "It's back again."