VI: Turbulence

CHAPTER SIXSteve and Genevieve

CHAPTER SIX
Steve and Genevieve

(Steve's pov)

"HAS EVERYONE GOT EVERYTHING?" GENEVIEVE ASKED before I locked the door.

"Do you?" I questioned. She wasn't above any other human being. Everyone had forgotten something.

"Of course I do. I checked twice," she replied, throwing her satchel around her shoulder.

Of course she had. I rolled my eyes, which made her scowl at me.

"Why is it so bad to be organised?" She asked. "Just because you haven't been organised a day in your life."

"You made it your entire personality. That'll happen to me if I ever became organised, and why would I ever want to be like you," I snapped. God. She drove me crazy.

"At least I actually have a personality. Having good hair and shitty pick up lines is clearly yours, and how well is that going for you?" She questioned.

"Oh so you think I have good hair then," I smirked.

"You're such an old vanity," she snapped. Clearly I'd bothered her. "Maybe that's the reason you aren't a, what is it they used to call you? A babe magnet? Jesus."

Dustin laughed, which caused me to nudge him.

"Dingus, please just lock this so we can go," Robin sighed, clearly bored of the argument. I didn't care. Why did Genevieve think she was so above me on the subject of dating?

"I suppose you'd be the expert on dating. How many boyfriends have you had? Oh yeah. One," i replied. "Your love life is as dead as mine, so don't sit there and act all high and mighty when you will never get a date either."

"Steve!" Robin said, looking towards Genevieve, whose nostrils flared. I didn't care.

"Huh. You're not very nice, are you Harrington? I can see why Nancy left you for Jonathan," she said coldly.

Silence fell around us. Genevieve looked into my eyes. Did she really hate me that much? To remind me of the second most painful experience of my life? I looked into her eyes with anger, but deep sorrow was buried beneath it all. Could she read me? I couldn't read her. There was a time where a look told me everything I needed to know about Genevieve. Now I didn't. Overwhelmed, I locked the gate firmly and walked ahead, not looking back at her as I did. Dustin ran up ahead with me.

"I think this code is bound to be right," Dustin said. He was trying to change the subject. I knew he was. I went along with it, not wanting to bring up Nancy or Genevieve.