III: Fetching Corndogs

CHAPTER THREE Genevieve

CHAPTER THREE
Genevieve

THE NEXT MORNING, I WOKE UP with a bad headache, right at the front of my head. I got myself dressed and made it downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed one of the glasses I had got from Disneyland during the summer of 1981. Part of Mickey Mouse was peeling away and the rim had been chipped.  I thought about how happy I was when I bought the glass. Just after I had met Cinderella and told her about my dreams to become a teacher. The novelty of high school was fresh in my mind back then. Now I was glad to be out of such a lonely, toxic environment.

I scanned the kitchen. My mom had rearranged the photos on the wall. I was glad to see the traditional brown frames, chosen by my dad when we had visited Sweden when I was ten, had been replaced with yellow ones; my mother's favourite colour.  More recent photos of her and I were featured on the wall. One from the previous summer, where half of my wavy brown hair had been shoved up into a scrunchie. Under my overalls, I wore a red striped t-shirt. Paired with my red converse. I looked happy. My mom had her arm around me. She was too.

The photo I tended to avoid the most hung above the fridge. Leela and I on our first day of Junior Year along with Barb, starting Sophomore year.  I'd newly been made president of the History society and Leela the head of the Chem society. We called each other Easton's Angels, for the simple fact that each of us had developed an obsession with Sheena Easton's music in Sophomore Year (Barb's Freshman Year) when her first album came out. The name kind of stuck. I sighed deeply, turning away from the photo and turning to the sink once more to grab the tablet I needed for my sore head. Straight afterwards, the phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I said.

"Evie, honey, it's mom! I set off an hour ago but didn't want to wake you. Another early start at the hospital today. Will be home for dinner, though. How about you and I get a pizza?"

"Hi mom," I replied, warmth filling my cheeks. "That sounds really good. I'm not in work today. Pizza sounds great. Don't worry about rushing home."

"Great, hon. You're really great. I hope you know that," she said. "You'll have to tell me all about your new job when I am home. Are some kids from your year working there? I hear the mall has created so many new jobs for teens."

"Yes, two people from school are working at Scoop's Ahoy. Robin is there, thankfully, and you'll never guess who else."

"Oh Evie, spill the beans!" She said enthusiastically.

"Steve Harrington."

"Hmph," she replied sternly. I chuckled at this. "Does your job not have a no brutes allowed policy?"