VIII: The Past Comes Knocking

CHAPTER EIGHT Steve and Genevieve

CHAPTER EIGHT
Steve and Genevieve

"HAVE YOU GOT YOUR PLAN organised then?" Robin asked while she standing at the till.

"Yeah, we are going to try and find anyone who looks suspicious," Dustin replied. "You have the binoculars, Steve?"

"Yep," I nodded, lifting them up in my hand. "Spying for evil Russians."

"Is Genevieve not in today?" Dustin asked. In that moment, I wished for the ground to swallow me up.

"No, she said she was doing something important today with her mum so she called in for the day off," Robin said, closing the register shut. "We all know Gen is too polite to say a certain asshole pissed her off and that's the real reason she's taking the day off."

Steve looked over at Robin. "Just leave it, Robin."

"Sure," she nodded. "Just wanted to say that while Gen is polite, I'm not. So, you're a jackass for what you said to her and I hope both sides of your pillow are warm tonight before you go to sleep."

"Thanks," I said bitterly. I didn't want an argument.

"If you knew the real reason Leela left, you'd feel like shit," Robin snapped. "Dustin go ahead and take dingus with you. Before I actually chuck something at his head."

"Okay. Let's go, Steve," he said awkwardly. I followed obligingly. I already felt like crap. Of course I regretted what I had said to Genevieve. I just wanted to hurt her like she had hurt me with the Nancy comment. I wanted her to feel the gut punch. Now I had to deal with all of the regret that came with it.

"What did Genevieve mean when she said Harrington can tell you all about it?" He asked as we made it to the escalator. Great. Questions I didn't want to answer.

"Doesn't really matter," I shrugged.

"Horse shit," he said.

"Hey! Language," I replied.

"Stop changing the subject," Dustin replied. "It's just a question."

"You're not going to drop this, are you?"

"Nope," he said, grinning.

I sighed deeply. "Fine. We knew each other, alright? We were friends. Something happened. Now we aren't. It happens."

"Okay," Dustin said quickly. "How long did you know each other? What happened?"