XVIII: contemplating vecna

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHTGenevieve

Genevieve

WE RECEIVED NEWS ABOUT Nancy and Robin's trip to the library. According to records, Vecna'a first victims traced back to 1959. Dustin had told Nancy and Robin to come over to the school, which we were walking through right now. Max walked ahead first, like a woman on a mission, while Dustin, Steve and I followed. I was scared somebody would find us. Even if we were doing this for the greater good, it would be a tough thing to explain to a janitor or someone still in the building. Something like oh yeah, we're just taking some confidential files to give us more info on a curse to save the world. No biggie. I didn't want anyone get in trouble. Least of all Dustin and Max, who had their entire high school years ahead of them.

Max opened the cabinets and took out Chrissy and Fred's files. As she began reading, I looked into her facial expressions. She looked hyper focused on something, distraught, almost worried. She looked up from the file. It almost seemed she was staring through the air. Like she'd seen a ghost. Max got up, wandering down the hallway. Dustin, Steve and I exchanged glances. Whatever she was seeing, we couldn't.

"Max," I said, following after her. She seemed to be in her own world. I wondered if she was okay. Steve and the others soon followed after me. Max seemed to be in some type of trance. Only when Dustin shook her shoulder did she zone back into the current. It wasn't long before
Robin and Nancy soon bolted down the hallway, finding Dustin, Steve, Max and I staring at the spot Max was claiming to say a grandfather clock was.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asked suspiciously.

"It was so real," Max replied. "And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just...I woke up."

"It was exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy," Dustin added.

"That's not even the bad part," Max said. There was fear in her eyes.

We all headed back into the therapist office, staring at the same files we had just pulled out a little while ago. Everyone was gathered around the table, like we were examining some type of murder case. In technicality, I suppose we were making sense of the murder, but this felt like something bigger. Something more.

"Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelley for help. They both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away and then...then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat and then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions just kept getting worse and worse and worse until eventually...everything ended."

I looked up at Max. "These things from their past. They were used to frighten them. Fear. These things still had control over them. Vecna must've known this somehow."