X: The First Kiss

CHAPTER TEN Genevieve May, 1981

CHAPTER TEN
Genevieve
May, 1981.

The day had been one filled with sun, ice cream and giggles. Steve, Leela and I had been celebrating the fact that we had got into Hawkins High School, and were starting in the fall. After the beach, Leela had went home to see her grandparents who had just came into town. This evening, Steve and I had decided to watch The Shining, a movie that had just came out last year. Steve had pretended to be fifteen to get it out of the rental store. Really, we weren't far out from the age. At least we weren't trying to watch a movie for eighteen year olds. Although, I wouldn't completely put that past Steve.

"Can you believe we are gonna be high school students in September?" he asked, tossing popcorn into his mouth. I took the bag out of his hands, which made him scowl.

"We have to save some for the movie. This is the only thing that helps when we're nervous," I said, tapping his arm and giggling. "I'm pretty excited, although all of the older students are going to make fun of us because we're freshmans."

"Not if we are cool enough," he replied, raising an eyebrow.

"You won't have to try," I said. "Although it would be really nice, I don't think I'd mind if people didn't really know who I was."

"Why do you say that?" He asked. "You don't want anyone to remember you?"

"Well, just the important ones," I smiled, sitting cross legged on Steve's bedroom floor. "Leela, Barb, you. If I make more friends along the way, it would be swell, but all I need is a few people."

Steve looked over at me and smiled. "You think I'm important?"

"Of course you are. You're my best friend."

"You're mine, too," he replied.

"It's so much of a comfort knowing that I will have people going into high school," I admitted. "You know, others only have themselves. Might be enough for some people, but I will always need my friends, I think."

"I wish I was as wise as you," Steve confessed. "You're going to fly in all of your classes too. I bet you could be president one day if you wanted."

I laughed. "The first thing I would do is make you vice president."

"You'd only do that because I'm your friend. I don't have a clue about politics."

"Well, you're kind. That is a start," I said, standing up.

"Thanks. Are you coming to sit down on my bed? I got a new one. It's really comfortable."