XIII: Truths and Truth Serum

CHAPTER THIRTEENGenevieve and Steve

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Genevieve and Steve

(Genevieve's POV)

I DIDN'T KNOW IF TEN seconds had passed or a full hour. Every moment spent looking at the machine through the window didn't feel real. It felt like we had been frozen in time. Where could I ever start with all of this? Will had told me about weird things going on in Hawkins, but hearing things and seeing things are two vastly different experiences. What was I even looking at?

"The gate," Dustin and Steve said simultaneously.

"Gate?" I questioned. "What the hell do you mean by gate?"

"Let's get out of here," Steve said, gesturing everyone away. Erica was first to walk away, followed by Dustin and then Robin. I walked beside Steve, but we did not speak.

"You said gates," Robin said. "I don't understand. You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly," Dustin replied.

"What is going on?" I questioned. "Do you know something we don't?"

Steve and Dustin looked at each other, then Dustin opened his mouth. "All you need to know is that this is bad."

"Really bad," Steve emphasised.

"Are you kidding me?" I said. "We get a cryptic it's really bad and we're just expected to accept it without any explanation?"

"Look, Genevieve, it's a long story," Dustin tried to explain. "It's complicated."

"Complicated? What type of complicated?"

"Like, end of the human race as we know it kind of bad," Dustin said.

"What a comforting thing to hear," I replied acidly.

"Gen's right. Where is the explanation? How do you know this?" Robin questioned.

"Um, Steve? Where's your Russian friend?" Erica asked.

I turned to look at the place where Steve had left him, but he wasn't there. Suddenly, the alarm started to ring. My stomach dropped completely. I looked at Dustin's terrified face. It was there and then I remembered how young he really was. Steve ran over the exit and opened the door.

"Shit," he said, slamming the door.

I pushed Dustin and Erica ahead of me as we ran straight towards the observation room. I was completely and utterly terrified. I didn't know what these guards would do to any of us if we got caught. I didn't want to hear Dustin's piercing screams or Erica's pleas. I didn't want us to die here. In a rotten old chamber. No bodies for the funerals. I pictured Leela coming back to Hawkin's just for mine. All alone in the pouring rain.