V: The Henderson Kid

CHAPTER FIVE Genevieve

CHAPTER FIVE
Genevieve

THE NEXT MORNING, I tied my hair back and put it in a claw clip. After putting my uniform on, brushing my teeth and tying my sneakers, I went down to the kitchen to be greeted by mom who had a later start at the hospital today. She smiled at me, handing me over a bowl of Cheerio's and orange juice. She knew me too well.

"Morning, mom," I said, smiling at her and sitting down at the table. "Are you doing okay?"

"I'm doing alright, hon. What time do you start at?" She asked. "10am?"

"Yeah," I nodded, taking a sip of my orange juice. "I went on a walk near Oakland Park yesterday. It was nice."

"Did you go and visit Barb?" She asked.

"No," I replied. "I didn't have any flowers to take to her grave. I'll go soon, though. I was there around a week ago. I asked her for luck before starting at my new job. So far, so good."

My mom looked over at me, taking my hand. I looked up at her. "I know it can be hard, sometimes. It's only been a couple of years, hon, but I am here if you want to talk."

"Thanks mom," I smiled. "I'm doing okay, though. The grief kind of comes in like the tide. It's there one moment and the next it isn't. I have my memories, mom."

"You're a good kid, Gen. I hope you know that."

I smiled at her. "Thanks. You're a good mom."

She smiled back. "What time do you finish tonight?"

"Around 7pm," I responded. "The mall is always dead by like half past five. We just take our time with the cleaning."

"Is that Harrington boy bothering you?" She asked, taking a sip of her coffee. I hesitated. "Gen?"

"He's just bossy," I responded. "It's okay. I do say things to him and I plan on finding another job at the end of the summer."

"Don't let him tell you what to do," my mom said, looking at me firmly.

"I won't, mom," I promised. "I better head on. Good luck with work."

"Thank you sweetie."

*:・゚*:

When I made it to the mall ten minutes before my shift, Robin was the only one standing at the counter. Harrington was sitting with a young boy who I recognised to be Dustin Henderson, one of Will's friends. He had changed since I had last seen him at the The Snow Ball. He looked a little older, with curlier hair and a face that matched that of a thirteen year old. I walked closer.