IX: The Air Vent Plan

CHAPTER NINE
Genevieve

AT WORK THE NEXT DAY, THE DISCUSSION ABOUT THE RUSSIANS started as soon as Dustin had turned up at Scoop's Ahoy. Part of me wondered if he was throwing himself into this because he didn't want to think about his other friends. Even though I was worried, I was glad at least this kept him busy and if I could help with that, it was worth it all.

"Okay, tell me about the keycard?" I asked, wanting to be updated with everything.

"It opens the door but the Russian with the keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anyone finding it."

"You aren't wrong," I agreed. "It's curious that they're going to these lengths to hide something but simultaneously, they aren't?"

"What do you mean?" Dustin asked.

"It's being hidden in a mall. You'd expect all of this to go down somewhere more private," I reasoned, but then my brain thought of another idea. "Then again, it covers it up well. No one really expects this type of stuff to happen in malls, which is part of the effect."

"That's a good point to make," Dustin agreed.

"It is," Robin nodded. "There's gotta be a way in as well."

"Well, you know, I could just... take him out?" Steve said.

"That's ridiculous," I reasoned.

"Take who out?" Robin asked.

"The Russian guard!" Steve said.

"These guards could come from the prisons in the Soviet Union or anything. The one you have to take out could be someone responsible for escorting prisoners, and therefore controlling any who try to break out. This isn't some dumb high school fight."

"Well, maybe he doesn't need to see me?" Harrington reasoned. Oh my god.

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin said.

"Yes, Dustin, I did. And that's why I would be sneaking."

"These guards expect everything," I told him. "Believe me. You may think you're being quiet, but imagine if they could hear you. Then that's it. Game over. You don't get a second life."

Steve didn't look at me as I said this. His attention stayed fixed upon Dustin. Now to think of it, he hadn't really looked me in the eye all morning.

"Have you ever actually won a fight either?" Dustin questioned. This made me chuckle.

"Okay. That was ONE time," Steve said defensively.

"Twice. Jonathan. Year prior?"

"That doesn't count."

"Who beat Harrington up last year?" I asked.

"Billy Hargrove," Dustin said. "It was pretty serious."

"What happened?"

"He threatened Lucas," Dustin explained. "Billy beat him unconscious. Then Max shoved some needle in his neck and the fight ended. So technically she won."