XVIII: New Job, New Beginnings

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN Genevieve

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Genevieve

October, 1985.

After a summer of relaxing, today was the day Robin, Steve and I had decided to go and get a job at the Family Video store. Since Starcourt Mall had shut down, every store there had went out of business, including Scoop's Ahoy. I wasn't nervous about going there. I knew films pretty well. I just hoped I would get a job there.

Before I set off to go, I decided to listen to the news. It was normally the same old thing on the channel; the weather, bad news, sports. I guess it was the sense of routine that I liked. I sipped my coffee as a commercial for "Cutting Edge" came on.

"Welcome to Hawkins, Indiana. A wonderful place to grow up. To raise your family, to walk to your dog."

"Pfft," I said. "Yeah, right."

"But then, on July Fourth, everything changed."

An image of Starcourt Mall flashed on the TV. "A terrible tragedy struck this small town."

More images followed. Thirty dead in the Indianapolis Gazette. Hero Chief dies in fire. I frowned.

"But that was not this small town's first brush with tragedy..."

Photos of Barb and another man called Bob Newby flashed up on the tv. I lingered on Barb's photo for a moment, recalling something she had said to be so long ago now.

"I'd love to be on the tv one day."

This hadn't been the way I'd ever expected. I looked down at my coffee. I hated being reminded of her like this.

"Mysterious deaths, government cover ups, a bizarre chemical leak. Is it all linked? All a vast conspiracy?"

"Jesus Christ. This isn't just some big conspiracy theory," I said to the tv. "It's people's lives! Insensitive pricks."

"The fault of a disgraced mayor?"

Mayor Kline was led out into a police car. I knew something was fishy was going on at Starcourt Mall. This had just confirmed it for me.

"Or is something more going on in the heartland?"

A welcome to Hawkins shot moved in. Hawkins was covered with the word "hell" written in red.

"Can a town itself be cursed?"

A woman screamed, nearly bursting my ear drums.