XII: Chaos

CHAPTER TWELVESteve and Genevieve

CHAPTER TWELVE
Steve and Genevieve

GENEVIEVE HAD MADE HER WAY BACK INTO THE ELEVATOR IN THE MORNING just after Dustin had woken up. When she entered, I looked over at her, but she avoided my eyes. I wanted to walk over and say how sorry I was again, but I knew it wouldn't do anything to help the situation. The fact was that I had completely overloaded her with the truth, and now she was taking it in. It was up to her what she wanted to do with it. I had to step back, and accept that fact. Dustin and I had made our way onto the roof of the elevator, where he made a code red on his walkie talkie.

"Hey! You gotta take it easy on that thing. Gonna drain the battery," I snapped.

"The mall just opened."

"So?"

"So someone could be in range."

"Whatdya think, Petey the Mall Cop is gonna rappel down here and save the day?"

"Oh what's the matter, Steve? Did you have an argument with Genevieve?"

"Shut up, Henderson," I said. "You always just have to stick that nose of yours in business that doesn't concern you. That's how we got into this mess in the first place!"

"You're beginning to sound a lot like her, you know," Dustin teased, crossing his arms.

I gave him a glare. He smiled.

"Trouble in paradise?"

I sighed. "We talked last night."

"What about?"

I continued to talk in a whisper, hoping she wouldn't hear me. "Remember the things I told you about Tommy H and Carol? Well I talked to her about that. I apologised for ditching her."

"What else did you say to her?"

"I barfed word vomit," I sighed, rubbing my head. "I just told her how much I regretted everything. How I still looked out for her name in high school. I said too much, man. Now I've scared her away."

"You haven't scared her away," Dustin said. "You just threw a whole lot of emotion her way and she's not use to it because all you ever do is bicker."

I sighed again. "I should've eased her into it."

"You didn't. What's the point of beating yourself up? If you half assed it anyway, she would've known. It just shows you care, which she sees now. It's just overwhelming."

"Thanks Dustin," I said, tapping his shoulder. "Now turn the other way, I need to take a leak."

"Can you redirect your stream please?" Robin shouted.

Whoops.

"Gross," Dustin complained.

"It's a natural thing," I shrugged.