XVII: Bonfires and Bonding

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN Steve

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
Steve

One month later

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAD WENT quickly, with Gen and I meeting up nearly every day of the summer. Robin had came along with us too some days, and we'd spent lots of time just remembering what it was like to be happy. We'd trekked forests and went to the movies. Ate candy til it came out of ears. Tonight, we were having a bonfire. Robin was coming around too. Gen's mom was working, so the house was free. It would be just us three. I was happy with that.

I headed over to Gen's house at 7pm with beers and a bag of popcorn. We were going to watch an old classic tonight after the bonfire. Not my choice. It was something with Audrey Hepburn. Roman Holiday I think? Whatever it was, I didn't even know it existed until now. Gen had called me uncultured anyway. To prove I was in fact not, I was going to watch it all the way through.

When I got there, Robin was already lounging in a garden chair. She was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and a pair of shorts, slurping back a beer. I waved, and found a seat across from her chair.

"Alright, dingus?" Robin smiled. "Good of you to bring more beer."

"Don't down it all in one go," I laughed. She chuckled. I could tell she had had a few already.

"Gen's coming soon," she told me. "She told me she's bringing out some snacks."

"And you're here slurping your beer instead of helping her?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh calm down, cowboy. I offered," she chuckled.

"Alright, alright," I laughed, putting my hands up.

Just then, Gen walked out carrying two plates of food. I didn't know what was on them. I couldn't take my eyes away from her. She was wearing a lemon denim skirt, a white t shirt which said "ET. Phone home!" and a pair of white converse. Half of her hair was up in a matching yellow scrunchie. Oh my god she was beautiful. She looked like the sun.

"Alright, Stevey. You can close your mouth now," Robin laughed. I felt mortified. Had it been that obvious? Who the hell was I kidding. OF COURSE it was obvious. Genevieve laughed. It was the best sound in the world to me.

"Okay, so I've got Dorito's with guacamole and sandwiches. Ham, tomato and cheese, and tuna. Pizza is currently cooking. Pepperoni and margarita."

"You've really got everything, haven't you, Gen?" Robin said, tossing a Dorito into her mouth.

She smiled. "Just trying to be a good host."