XXI: The Final Blow

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE Genevieve and Steve

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
Genevieve and Steve

AROUND ONE WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE I had received the phone call from my dad and since it had happened, I had only told Robin and my mom. I'd barely had any shifts in Family Video and Steve had barely called. It was strange. I'd find myself staring at the phone in the evening just waiting on him calling me, then I'd get frustrated at myself for doing it, because I knew if he wanted to call, he would have. I wonder what he had meant by "family stuff" that day at Family Video? Had stuff even happened? Was it just because he didn't want to have a difficult conversation with me? Avoiding things seemed to be his speciality after all. Maybe I was just making things about myself.

I had been debating all morning if I should just pick up the phone and call him. After all, nothing was really stopping me, was it? Part of me was hoping he would actually appreciate the call, the other half wondered if he would even say that he did. I decided just to pick up the phone and dial his number. There was no harm in trying and I was optimistic that maybe he'd be happy to hear my voice.

After a few moments, I heard someone pick up on the other line. "Hello?"

"Hey, Steve," I said softly. "It's Gen. What are you doing today?"

"Nothing much," he responded. "What about you?"

"Just helping mom with the gardening. It's her first day off. She's getting a bit of a break from the hospital, thankfully for a few days," I said, wondering if he could feel my smile through the phone.

"That's really great, Gen."

"Yeah, it is."

A silence buzzed over the line for a moment. Is that all he had to say? "That's really great"? I decided to speak again.

"Are you doing okay, Steve? Is there anything you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Honestly, there's no need to worry," he reassured me, even though it didn't help at all. "Just been really busy helping my mom with things around the house. She's been a little stressed, so I'm just being there for her."

"Right," was all I could say. "Well, then, I hope your mom will be okay soon."

"She'll be fine. She's tough after all," Steve replied. "Anyway, Gen. I better head on here. I have to run to the supermarket to get some groceries for her."

"Oh, okay," I said kindly, even though I was feeling let down. "Have a good day. Chat soon."

"Bye, Gen."