XXVII: pushing/pulling

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVENSteve

Steve

WHILE GENEVIEVE WENT TO HER MOMS AND Nancy and Robin were in the town, Dustin and I dropped Max off at her therapist to see if we could make more connections between Fred, Chrissy and the whole Vecna curse thing. It creeped me out to say the least, but I guess it was pretty standard stuff for Hawkins. Stuff that we'd all been through before. The main concern now was keeping everyone safe and it made me feel a little on edge that we had split up again. I thought of Genevieve. Were things okay for her? What was she doing right now? I watched as Max walked into her therapist's, trying to take my mind off everything.

"Okay, she's in," I said to Dustin, seeing her walk through the door.

"I'm missing collarbones, not eyes," Dustin replied. Little shit. "So, we gonna talk about... it?"

"Huh? Sorry, talk about what?" I said. Dustin could be referring to absolutely anything these days and I wasn't about to waste my time guessing.

"Man, the way you freaked out earlier when Genevieve said she was leaving," Dustin said, as it was the most obvious thing in the world. "You practically threw yourself at her."

"Dustin, don't make this into something it is not," I said defensively. I was not about to have a relationship talk with Henderson.

"I'm not making it into anything. I'm analysing the data and stating the facts and the fact is you still care about Gen. My question is why the heck did you break up? Are you crazy?"

"I'm not crazy and for your information, Gen and I go way back so of course I'm going to care about her. That's all it was. I don't want her to be next on Vecna's creepy hit list. Anybody with any conscience would say that. It's called being human."

Dustin laughs. "You didn't answer my question."

"We had our reasons for breaking up and that's that. I know you think you're some relationship coach but I don't need a therapist."

"You're getting so defensive about it," Dustin pointed out. "Cut the bullshit, Steve, and get your girl back. Honestly."

"Henderson, I don't need you interjecting into my ex relationship. Genevieve is going to Columbia, and everybody knows long distance doesn't work. I'm not getting back with her only for it to end."

"Suzie and I are long distance and we've worked well for nearly a year," Dustin added. "So, what's your answer to that?"

I rolled my eyes. "Our lives are different, Henderson, and Genevieve is always talking about how much she hates Hawkins. She's not going to come back here after she's done with Columbia. Don't argue with me. I don't want to talk about this with you."