XIV: The Letter

CHAPTER NINETEENGenevieve and Steve

CHAPTER NINETEEN
Genevieve and Steve

January, 1986.

(Genevieve's POV)

JANUARY 1986 BROUGHT IN SNOW AND unwanted coldness in an already bitter little town. Recently, I had spent so much time digging out all of my old jumpers and winter pearls and keeping myself busy at Family Video. I worked there four days a week now, with weekends off. Mom often tried to get Sundays off, but it wouldn't always work. Things felt the same. Monotonous. Hollow. Like a grey cloud was constantly drifting over you. Nothing ever got better and nothing ever got worse. You were always waiting on it getting bad again, though.

I was glad at least that I would be heading to Columbia in the fall. I'd recently been looking at apartments there, getting myself sorted for moving. I couldn't wait to leave this miserable little town, if I was honest. Of course, I wished I could bring all of my friends and family in my suitcase, but I would stay in contact with them anyway. I had never imagined myself settling down here. In a town that had reminded me of everything painful in my life.

At around lunch time, I was folding away clothes in my bedroom, when I heard a knock at the door. I knew the post man came around this time, so I assumed it was him. When I got downstairs, I found three letters shoved through the letter box. Two were for mom and one of them looked like it was for me. I looked at the front - Columbia University's logo was printed there. What could this possibly be about? I opened it up.

Dear Miss Atkins,

We hope your year is going well, and you're looking forward to joining us here in the fall. We just wanted to forward on the message that module selection forms will be sent out in March. We have attached a list of the possible ones that you can choose from.

We also wanted to thank you for getting in touch regarding social events. We have attached a list of balls, galas and different societies that will be holding events from August onwards. It is advised that you come to Columbia before your classes start so that you can familiarise yourself with the campus. If you would like to book a tour, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Julia Michels
Information officer at Columbia University

I smiled from ear to ear after reading the letter from Columbia. It was all finally starting to feel real. Like I could actually get out of Hawkins and start a life in New York City without the fear of supernatural or weird things happening to me. I decided to pick up my phone and decided to ring Steve. He may have been working at Family Video today, but I still wanted to update him. I picked up the phone in my room and dialled the number to Family Video.