Of Such Is The Kingdom: chapter 37

Of such is the Kingdom

“He shall feed His flock like a shepherd: He shall gather the lambs with His arms and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.”  Isaiah 40:11

        The reference to the lambs is especially attractive. Imagine a new-born lamb meeting the daylight for the first time in boulder-strewn alpine meadows, where the wind frequently brings rain or snow; where there are hungry wolf packs looking for prey. This is a figure of a young, inexperienced, and trusting Christian in this evil world. But we need not fear, if he is under the care of the Good Shepherd.

         When a shepherd discovers a lamb that is sickly and weak and knows that it cannot keep pace with the flock, he takes it up in His arms and carries it. That is what Jesus does for the young of the human family. He supplements their strengths with His. He sustains them in the rough pathways of life. He renews their powers of endurance and gives them the fellowship of His spirit. Thus they are kept from the hand of the spoiler, that they may grow up in the Lord.

        It is glorious to be strong and mighty , to keep pace with the flock, but there are compensations that come to the young and those that are young in faith. They receive tender care attention from the true Shepherd.

- anonymous

He raiseth the fallen, He cheereth the faint;

The weak and afflicted, He hears their complaint;

The way may be weary, and thorny the road,

But how can we falter? Our help is in God!

And to His green pastures our footsteps He leads

His flock in the desert how kindly He feeds!

The lambs in His bosom He tenderly bears,

And brings back the wand’rers all safe from the snares.

- anonymous