The Love Of God

The Love Of God

"Behold, what manner of love the father hath given unto us, that we should be called the sons of God." 1 John 3:1

It is impossible for human language to describe the love of God. When John the beloved disciple tried to portray His love, words failed him. He called upon his hearers to "behold" what manner of love the Father had bestowed upon us. The apostle Paul in setting forth the dimensions of God's love spoke of its breadth, its length, its depth,and its height. God's love is as broad as the universe. It extends to all His creation. No one is excluded from its warming rays. Human love is often narrow, taking in only a small circle of loved ones, but God's great outer circle of love emcompasses all. Man's love is often transient and fleeting, but God's love is everlasting. It is not dependent upon what we do, but upon what God has done for us. It reaches down to the very depths of sin and lifts the fallen from the miry pit. It extends to the highest heaven. Love caused Jesus to leave His exalted position on the throne of glory and come to earth and become the lowliest of men. We cannot understand why God should love us so, but we are thankful that we can experience it. Even the most selfless human love cannot begin to compare with that which God has bestowed upon us.

God's love is as high

    as the stars in the sky -

It's as deep as the deepest blue sea;

And the great love of God

    is as wide and as broad

As the heavens above you and me.

It's endless! It's boundless!

    And there are no words

Beneath the blue skies up above

To tell of the length

    and the breadth and the strength

And the greatness of God's mighty love.

As a mantle it's flung

    over old and the young.

Wherever men's footsteps have trod;

While the seasons endure

    we are safe and secure

And kept by the great love of God.

-anonymous