God's Law

God's Law

"Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee forever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the Lord thy God." Deuteronomy 12:28

We are not to pick and choose what we shall obey of God's Word, for "all these words which I command thee" are for our best good, even though we don't always understand God's plan.

A man by the name of Quarles wrote these important words: "True obedience neither procrastinates nor questions." A teacher was explaining to her class the work of God's holy angles. The text under consideration was Psalm 103:21: "Bless ye the Lord, all ye His hosts; ye ministers of His, that do His pleasure." "How do the angels carry out God's will?" she asked. Many answers followed. One said, "They do it directly." Another said, "They do it with all their hearts." A third added, "They do it well." After a while a quiet little girl said, "They do it without asking any questions."

Some time ago a United Press dispatch reported that at the University of California, termites had eaten through a large stack of pamphlets entitled "Control of Termites." This shows that information alone is not enough. There must be a practical application. Speaking to His disciples regarding the things He had taught, Jesus said, "If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them" (John 13:17).

God's law demands one living faith,

    And not a crowd of lifeless creeds;

Its warrant is a firm "God saith";

    Its claim not words, but living deeds.

O Lord forgive - Thy Holy Law

    Grows tarnish'd in our earthly clasp;

Pure in itself, without a flaw

    It dims in our too wordly clasp.

Forgive the sacrilege, and take

    From ev'ry soul the unholy stain,

And help us for Thy Son's dear sake,

    To keep Thy perfect law again.

- anonymous