Yellow Roses

Two boys and a girl about ten years old, stepped into a florist's shop on afternoon. One of the boys said to the clerk, "We're the committee, and we would like some nice yellow roses." "Must they be yellow?" the clerk asked. "Yes, sir," he replied, "You see, mister, Mickey would like'm better if they were yellow, because he had a yellow sweater."  When asked if the flowers were for a funeral, they nodded. Tears appeared in the little girl's eyes eyes and were running down her cheeks. "She's his sister," one boy said. "Mickey was a good kid. A truck - just yesterday - we were playing a game in the street. We saw it happen, but there was nothing we could do." Then the other boy added: "Us kids took up a collection, and we got 18 cents. Would - would roses cost an awful lot, mister? Nice yellow roses?" The big-hearted florist said, "I have some nice yellow roses here that I'm selling for 18 cents a dozen." "Thoses will be great," said one of the boys. "Yes, Mickey would love those," the other boy added. "Where shall I send them?" asked the florist. "If you don't mind, mister, we'd like to take them with us. We would kinda like to take them over - and - sort of give them to Mickey ourselves."

The sad part of this story is that poor Mickey did not know of their love and affection. He didn't see the tear-reddened eyes, hear the choking words, or enjoy the beautiful yellow roses. He'd gone through life without flowers; with little love.

I'd rather have one little rose

    From the garden of a friend

Than all the choicest flowers

    When this weary life must end.

I'd rather have one pleasant word

    In kindness said to me

Than flattery when my heart is still

    And life has ceased to be.

I would rather have a loving smile

    From friends I know are true

Than tears shed round my casket

    When to this world I bid adieu.

Bring me all the flowers today,

    Whether pink, or white or red;

I'd rather have one blossom now

    Than a truckload when I'm dead.

                                         - anonymous