The Kind Of People In Our Town: chapter 7

The Kind Of People In Our Town

           A traveler was seeking a new community in which to live. He met an old man by the wayside and said: “Good morning, sir. I should like to settle in this community. What kind of people live here? I hope better than in the last place I lived.”

          “What kind of people were they?”

          “Terrible - cheats, gossips, never gave a man a chance.”

“Don’t stop here,” said the townsman. “The people here are no different from those you left.”

Later in the day another traveler greeted the same old man. “Good after-noon,” he said. “I am looking for a good community in which o live. What is I like here?”

“How were the people you left?”

“They were the finest I have known - always willing to help in trouble. Like all human beings, of course, they made mistakes; but they were so honest and sincere I hated to leave them.”

“Well, then,” said the townsman, “this is the place for you. These people are no different from those you left.”

As we give, it shall be given. As we do, it shall be done to us. “The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself” (Prov. 11:25).

                          - Anonymous

The more you give, the more you get -

The more you laugh, the less you fret -

The more you do unselfishly,

The more you live abundantly. . . 

The more of everything you share, 

The more you’ll always have to spare -

The more you love, the more you’ll find

That life is good and friends are kind. . . 

For only what we give away,

Enriches us from day to day.

                                          - Helen Steiner Rice