Where are you going?: chapter 6

Where Are You Going?

“. . . wither goest thou?” Zechariah 2:2

            A certain speaker at a convection was late for the meeting. He rushed from the plane, jumped into the first cab, and said to the driver, “Drive me as fast as you can - I’m in a hurry.” Off they went, bouncing and bumping. After several minutes the speaker shouted, “Are we almost there?” “Where?” said the cabby. “All you told me was to drive fast!” Some people drive fast, but where are they going? Do you know where you are going?

            Usually when people start on a journey they have a definite objective in view. If it is a long trip into the unknown regions, they obtain all the information they can. They produce road maps, and carefully choose the clothing and provisions for the journey. Yet how foolish the natural man is concerning his eternal destiny. He knows he is going somewhere. But where? If I knew I might be called away any day to leave for Africa, I would be fool if I did not inquire about transportation, passport and visa. I would inquire about the country, it’s climate and geography so I would be ready. Man knows he may be called to go any moment, yet makes no inquiry as to the way to get to heaven. The way is in the ‘road map’, the Bible, and all the information you need is in the Word of God.

            As travelers study the language of countries to which they expect to go, let us study the language of heaven, the language of faith, the language of love.

   Let us learn the language of that home

            Whilst here on earth we be,

Lest our poor hearts for want of words,

          Be dumb in that high company.