Repeating Calvary: chapter 33

Repeating Calvary 

“He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.” John 1:11

        A well-known evangelist was once asked why he made so much of Christ’s death upon the cross. He answered something like this:  “The cross revealed the heart of God  and made clear that His love to man was unchanging. It showed that the Lord had the power to bring victory out of death. Through the cross the power of salvation was provided. The cross also shows, how evil men are without God’s grace. Christ was crucified, not by criminals, but by the “best” people of His day the cross underscored the vile depths to which human nature can sink. In fact, the “best” today are still capable of crucifying Him afresh.”

        “And one shall say unto Him, what are these wounds in Thine hands. Then He shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of My friends” ( Zech. 13:6 ). This is the story of redemption  as told in heaven by the Lord Himself. To the questioner He explains how “ He came unto His own, and His own received Him not” (John 1:11. Redemption necessitated wounds, suffering, death; and our Saviour will carry the scars of those wounds throughout the ages. His wounds of old were received where He should have received kindness, acceptance, and love. Let us today see that He is not wounded again in the house of His friends - in our house. 

- anonymous 

They crushed the thorns into His brow

        And struck harsh blows that day.

Oh, Lord, I would not treat Thee so - 

        I only walked away.

They drove the nails into His hands,

        And raised the cross on high.

Oh, Lord, that men could be so vile - 

        I only passed Thee by.]

Only blinded eyes and hearts of stone

        Could spurn a love like Thine.

Oh, Lord, I struck the cruellest blows;

        The sharpest thorns were mine.         

- anonymous