Prescription for Salvation: Chapter 99

"But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God . . ." John 1:12

Suppose you are taken seriously ill. A doctor is called, and after a thorough examination he says that you have contracted a fatal disease; but he also tells you that just recently medical science has discovered a sure cure. Now you can believe that you have called in the best doctor in the city; acknowledge that he knows his business; agree that he has prescribed the correct remedy and still it may do you no good! Just lie there and believe it all, but refuse to take the medicine, and you'll surely die! You don't have to express your disbelief by taking the medicine and throwing it to the floor. Just neglect to take it, and your fatal disease will do the rest. Thus it is with salvation. Many folks say they believe the bible and the story of Jesus, and that He died on the cross of Calvary for man's sins, but they have never reached out the "hand of faith", and actually taken the remedy. They have never personally received God's "prescription" for their sins - the Lord Jesus Christ - and trusted Him fully for their salvation. To such the Bible gives the wonderful assurance that "whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:13)!

He who died on Calvary,

Died to ransom you and me.

On the cross He bowed His head,

In the grave He made His bed.

Ever since, the lilies bloom

Round the portal of the tomb.

Ever since, o'er all our loss

Shines the glory of the cross.

- anonymous