Strong Christians: chapter 39

Strong Christians

By Alberta Hamman

The OAK STOOD ALONE on the hilltop. Straight as an arrow it lifted its head toward the sunshine. 

The north winds roared and oak’s trunk swayed in the winter cold.

In the summer when the hilltop became dry and brown from lack of rain, the oak’s little rootlets reached out and down in their search for food and moisture, and the oak grew stronger and taller as circumstances caused it to spread out and to bend and to sway in the winds.

A hurricane swept across the country and many trees in the forest in the forest that had been shielded by their fellows, swayed and twisted in the wind and then fell because they were not strong enough to stand through the tempest.

The hurricane winds tore at the leaves of the oak that stood on the hilltop. Some were shredded and others were snatched away, and they fell down upon the wet, soft ground. It had withstood winds before and its roots had gone deep. The storm left it tattered but still as straight and tall as ever.

God allows storms in our lives so we will look to Him and grow into straight and tall Christians. The drought of trials helps us send our roots deep to draw from the Spring of life. When the hurricanes of trouble beat upon us, we are ready to meet them because we are strong and deeply rooted in God.

Winds have ne’er uprooted timber

Growing deep beneath the sod - 

Strife has never conquered mortals

Who are rooted deep in God.