Count Your Blessings: chapter 46

Count your Blessings

“Only fear the Lord, .   .   .  For consider how great things he hath done for us.” 1 Samuel 12:24

Said a worldly woman to her Christian neighbour, “How do you get to sleep at night when the trials of the day and the problems of  tomorrow come flooding in upon your mind? Do you count sheep?”

“No,” said the other, “I have a better system. When I have a spell of wakefulness, I first commune with the Shepherd, and then I fall asleep counting my blessings.”

It would be an interesting exercise if we would take time to jot down for just one day the benefits of our Saviour’s loving hand. While this would be an impossible task, it certainly would be profitable in sharpening our spiritual perception. We would quickly find that we are the recipients of abundant treasure - some clearly defined, some disguised. Considering the great things He has done for us, we can acknowledge that we are hopelessly in debt to Him.

When trying to add up the instances of God’s goodness in our lives, we must remember that our Heavenly Father causes even adversity to be an asset! Someone has said, “I willingly bear witness to the fact that I owe more to the fire, the hammer, and the file than to anything else in my Lord’s workshop. I sometimes question whether I have ever learned anything except through the rod. My trials have often brought me my richest blessings.”

- anonymous

I am thankful

For

Things that have

Not come

My way!

For out of much need

Has come

Full strength.

For out of firm denial

Has come

Warm compassion.

For out of stark want

Has come

Keen purpose.

But most of all - 

Out of dark days

Has come

Bright faith!

- anonymous