46. Supplanting A Memory

Oh look, it's Zach strutting without a t-shirt. ;) ^

--- --- ---

[Zach's POV]

"Class H3, please make your way into the hall quietly, and put your bags down in the closet." My English teacher said, and held open the door for us. My fingers were trembling and my heart was pumping loudly in my chest and I wasn't even inside the hallway yet, I was still waiting for my class to get inside before me.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Jace smiling at me and I quickly rushed over to him and took him into a big fat hug, he could probably feel how hard and how quick my heart was thumping against his chest. "You'll do fine," he reassured and gave me a quick peck on my lips. Being able to do something like this in public, In front of the school, is still so overwhelming, even though it has been a few weeks since we came out publicly.

"Zachary hurry up! You have an exam to get inside for." Miss Lancaster glared at me and I quickly rushed passed her and met my class in the hallway, lining up outside the exam hall as they waited for the class that came in before us to settle down.

My hands were all clammy and my head was spinning as an examiner met us in the hallway and ushered us inside. Could I do this? GCSE is nothing compared to A Level but the grades I get this year will tell me whether I can get into A Level. I needed at least a B at I really did want to go to Sixth Form.

The examination hall was eerily quiet, the only sound that could be heard were the clicking of pens and the footsteps of my peers as they walked from the entrance to the closet where the sports supplies are usually stored. It was dusty and murky inside so I left my bags on top of a gymnastics beam and took out a bottle of water and my pencil case. I already switched my phone off and left it inside my bag previously.

I sat down right at the back of the hall, where the new row started right after the last class that went inside and double checked my pockets and took out the supplies I needed from my pencil case before putting it on the floor next to my feet. God, this was scary as fuck and the exam hasn't even begun yet. The way the examiners look at you just make you want to crawl into a hole and the quietness just makes me want to laugh. I can't handle silence.

In front of me, on my desk was my examination paper and I signed my name at the top as neatly as I could and left my pen next to the paper as I waited for everyone else to get inside the hall so that we could start already; I just wanted to get this exam and my maths exam later this afternoon over and done with. We were on study leave so I only had to come into school for exams and I was especially looking forward to later on because I'm going to Jace's house, apparently he wants to take me somewhere.

Once everybody in the hall had settled down and the examiners went through a list of rules, I was finally allowed to duck my head down and start the two and a half hour exam in store for me.

-

"Jace, where are we going?" I ask him as we slid into his car, it was seven in the evening and it was starting to get dark. Last time I checked, Jace didn't like driving in the dark.

"I can't tell you that because it wouldn't be a surprise then, would it?" he grinned at me and grabbed my hand, leaving it to rest on top of the gear stick. He reversed out of the driveway and out of the street.

"I thought you didn't like driving in the dark." I deadpanned.

"Well, it's summer now so it's not as dark as it could be, plus, the roads we're going on have streetlights."

Mum was very much against allowing me to see Jace tonight because I was supposed to be revising but once I assured her that I will catch up on any revision I would be missing out tonight, she finally let me go. My next exam wasn't for another two days so I had the entire day tomorrow to make sure I'm prepared.