10. Skating and Awkward Dinners

"In March?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes."

After a little thinking, It didn't seem like a bad idea, ice skating. I wasn't bad at it, I'm actually pretty good. Like those dancers on Dancing on Ice, minus the costumes.

We went back to the car and Jace shoved his guitar in the boot, the drive to the ice skating rink wasn't far and I started to feel excited about going.

It's been ages since I've last skated, probably two years. We reached the ice rink and walked inside the glass double doors and then through a few more doors until we actually reached the ice rink. It was cold and it only got colder the closer we got.

We replaced our normal shoes with skates and we both put our coats on. I could see my breathing as we got on the rink.

I almost fell as I stepped on to the ice, I was about to fall and I braces myself but the fall never came because two skinny arms came under my underarms.

A brilliant idea popped in to my head, I didn't know whether it would work or not but it was worth a try.

"Jace I can't skate."

"Then why would you agree to come here?"

"Because we'd end up going anyway because you're so stubborn."

"Erm, ow." He feigned hurt and came on to the ice and stood in front of me. "It's easy, put a hand on the rail here."

I did as he said. "Yep."

"Okay now, just slide your feet but don't let of the rail."

"Keep going." He pushed once I finished the first quarter of the rink.

I grabbed the rail with my right hand and let the other one drop to my side. I irritatingly slowly skated as if I've never done it before.

"Can we go in the middle?"

"Don't get too ahead of yourself."

"Look," I let of of the rail. "I can balance!"

He pursed his lips then grabbed my hand and intwined our fingers. I felt a surge of electricity pass through us and my eyes widened in surprise but I hope Jace didn't see it, god, that wouldn't be a great thing.

Jace started skating towards the middle with a tight grip on my hand. He skated slowly just so it was easy for me and I appreciated how understanding he was.

It was hard to concentrate with Jace's iron grip, I bet my hands were all gross and clammy at the moment.

We stood still at the middle of the rink, we weren't really getting in the way because there were only parents and young children and maybe a few teens.

"Okay, so just do what you did when you held on the rail. Just walk..." He held on to both my hands and skates backwards as I skated towards him.

I followed his instructions and just walked, I was building up speed and Jace kept encouraging me to keep going on.

"My feet ache." I whined, that was one thing I wasn't lying about.

"So are mine but come on, keep going." He let go of one hand and I let it drop to my side. I went faster and faster and soon, matched his speed which was quite fast but not too fast. We actually looked like one of the couples here that we're holding hands, skating, smiling and laughing.

"You're doing really well." He smiled.

"You're a good teacher." I stated. What couldn't he do? He was clever, he could skate, he could play guitar, he could sing... The list is endless.