The Dance.

Thanks for reading I hope you are enjoying the story.  This is just a disclaimer saying I don't own the lyrics/music to the song in this chapter.  All rights and creative awesomeness belong to Of Monsters and Men and their record labels respectively and I take no credit for their lyrics used in the story!  Wanna hear the song? Check the media!

I stood in shock as Fleur had run off. That was really strange, I had never seen her act so rashly. After grabbing some books I started downstairs to leave. I ran into Maya there. She smiled at me when we met. I really didn't want to go with her, but I think Fleur didn't want Maya to be upset. We walked outside together still in a somewhat awkward silence. If this girl couldn't talk to me why would she even want to go to a dance with me?

"Fleur might not be going to the dance," I said.

"Oh, is everything okay?"

"I really am not sure."

"Maybe I should call her later. Well, I'll still be going if..." she started.

"Yeah, I guess we could hang out."

She smiled at me as we stood at the front of the school. After saying goodbye awkwardly we headed our separate ways. I pulled my phone from my pocket. Maybe I should call Fleur. At the very least to make sure she was okay. I scrolled down to her contact information in my phone. My finger hovered over it for a moment. But she seemed really upset maybe I should just talk to her tomorrow. Were girls always this complex? With a heavy sigh I tucked my phone back into my pocket and walked home. As soon as I walked in the house a football met with my chest. The air knocked out of my lungs as I started to cough.

"So, the loser landed a date for the dance?" Chet asked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"We heard you actually asked Fleur. I'm surprised she didn't turn you down."

"Except she did."

I shoved my way past him as I stormed up the stairs. Right now wasn't the time for his crap. The door to my room slammed shut behind me. My body leaned on the door as I threw my book bag on the bed. What the hell was her problem anyway? Why would she say yes only to turn me down hours later? I walked forward and collapsed on the bed. A buzzing from my pocket startled me. My phone was ringing, and it was Fleur!

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, Once-ler," she said, "do you have a moment?"

"Yeah, I was gonna call you, is everything okay?"

"Kinda. I just wanted to apologize to you."

"I guess I'll be going with Maya to the dance," I said with frustration.

"That's good. I'm sure you'll have fun."

"You should still come. But I wanna know why you want us to go together?"

"Uh."

"I mean it seemed like you wanted to go with me."

"She likes you."

"But she never even talked to me before."

"Well, I just felt bad to be honest. Maybe you could just go and see if you have fun together."

"You're so nice to other people.  Sometimes you have to think about what you want too."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Is everything else okay? You seemed upset before you left."

"Yeah, I just brought the wrong folder from home. This has some stuff from my old school. Pictures and stuff. I must have grabbed the wrong one before school today."