The Winter Formal.

An alarm sent me jolting upwards early the next morning. I forgot where I was until Fleur groaned and slammed her hand on the nightstand. It took a few tries until she hit finally hit the snooze button. She pulled the covers back over her head. I yawned and shook her slightly.

"Nooo," she hissed, "still sleeping."

"Come on we gotta go to school," I said.

"I need to sleep more. I'm exhausted because of you anyway."

"Because of me? I think that second time was your own doing."

"No, you."

I laughed. She was too tired to make a coherent argument. I decided to get up and take a quick shower. It was lucky that I had left a change of clothes at her house a while back. After finishing the shower I got dressed and walked into the room. Fleur was sitting up finally, but with her eyes closed.

"You awake now?" I asked.

"Hn."

She flopped backwards onto the bed. I walked over to the bed and shook her gently. It took a few minutes until she actually woke up. While she got ready I headed downstairs to have some breakfast. Fleur eventually came downstairs looking bright eyed and awake.

"Morning, Oncie," she beamed.

"Finally awake?" I laughed.

"Sorry, I must've been exhausted for some reason. I just can't figure out what," she said with a wink.

"I wonder."

She made herself a cup of tea and grabbed herself some breakfast. When she finished eating we grabbed our things to leave. Fleur shut the door quietly before walking to her car. Apparently at some point before being hauled off Maya posted a rather scathing post about how things really happened yesterday. So by the time we got into school everyone had heard part of what really happened. Lucky for us, no one believed her at this point. No one gave us weird stares or hounded us about what really it happened. It was refreshing for once in the past few weeks to feel like things were normal again. We got to our lockers and exchanged books for other ones. A hand slammed my locker shut as Bret appeared facing me.

"You guys are pretty sly," he said.

"What are you talking about now?" I asked.

"You two managed to get Maya carted off to some looney bin."

"That was her own doing," Fleur chimed in.

"You don't get to talk. Honestly, if it were okay for me to kick your ass I would," he hissed.

"Come on, Fleur, let's go," I said.

I grabbed her hand and we hurried down to homeroom. I wasn't in the mood for a fight. It dawned on me maybe Maya and him were in some sort of relationship. I don't know why else he'd stand up for her. And he seemed to do so without Chet, which was even more odd. He glared at us throughout the announcements, making us both feel uncomfortable. We hurried out of the room after the bell rang.

"The hell is your brother's problem?" Fleur asked.

"I'm starting to wonder..."

"What?"

"Maybe they started dating or something," I said.

"I don't care anymore. I'm tired of other people's crap getting in the way. I mean his only way of dealing with problems is to beat them up. So whatever..."

"You still tired?" I laughed.

"I think my brain is broken. This is your fault," she muttered.

"My fault, how so?"