01

The breath of relief that Roman let out after closing his last patient's door could've been hard enough to blow a house down

The breath of relief that Roman let out after closing his last patient's door could've been hard enough to blow a house down. Just knowing that his shift was finally over had him ready to fall asleep on the cold tile floor that he was standing on.

When he clocked in yesterday, he was only supposed to be taking care of 14 patients since nobody had called out sick. By seven this morning that had been upped to almost 27 due to some of the Registered Nurses being called down to the Neurology floor for emergency aid.

He loved his job a lot, but days like this made him hate it. His feet were aching so badly that he was honestly surprised they could still hold his body weight up. It also felt like his back could be popped in twelve different ways by a chiropractor. Everything was just sore and hurting right now.

"East, gon' and clock out. No more overtime for you this week." A small hand gently rubbed his left shoulder, and he mustered up a fake but obviously tired smile. She should've told him that ten hours ago, hell.

His typical work weeks usually consisted of three consecutive 12 hours shift, then four days off. A surge of the influenza flu had him working six hours extra of overtime though. He hoped that would be over soon because he didn't think his body could handle it.

After telling some of his coworkers goodbye, Roman gathered his things from his desk area and packed up his overnight bag. He literally could not wait to get home and get in the bed. That wouldn't be happening anytime soon though.

Finally making it to his spot in the reserved parking garage, he hit the unlock button on the key fob to his 2019 Infinity QX55, and pulled the back door open to put his duffel bag inside.

He let out a yawn once his back came in contact with the driver's seat, realizing that he would probably need an extra boost of energy to help him stay awake for the drive back home, and for the day ahead. It was now nearing three in the morning, and he needed to be back up and out by six for the day's events.

"Shit, man." He mumbled in slight aggravation. He wished he could just sleep in this parking lot. He was too tired to do anything else.

Eventually he ended up leaving, knowing damn well he wouldn't be sleeping in anybody's parking lot-at least not tonight. He pondered on stopping to get a caffeinated drink for that upsurge of energy, like a Red Bull, but those never seemed to work for him.

What he really was craving was a nice, hot cup of coffee with some creamer and extra, extra, extra sugar. His favorite place to get one of those was Starbucks, but unfortunately for him, they were closed around this time. His second option was 7/11, but here lately their coffee had begun to taste weird-as if they weren't cleaning the machines or something.

In the midst of thinking where he'd get some coffee from, the way his eyes focused on the empty street ahead caused him to become even more drowsy. As soon as they dazed closed, he pulled over, now for certain that he had to get some coffee in his system. If he didn't, he really would be making the half hour drive home tonight.