14

Kaiya held her knitted blanket in her left hand as she pushed open the door to her father's room, closing it softly behind her so that she didn't wake him or Angel up

Kaiya held her knitted blanket in her left hand as she pushed open the door to her father's room, closing it softly behind her so that she didn't wake him or Angel up. Then she climbed onto the black velvet bed frame that reminded her of ice cream sandwiches, trying to be as stealthy as possible.

Once she made it to the top of the bed she laid down on the left side of Angel who slept in the middle of the large mattress, getting underneath the thick duvet cover. Her dad's room was always the coldest in the house and she absolutely loved it.

"Angel," She whispered, tapping her arm to wake her up. With as light of a sleeper that she was, Angel's eyes opened on the first tap.

"Can I sleep with you, please?" She asked; though already in the bed-obviously-she was asking if Angel could hold her without directly asking.

"Yeah baby. Come on." She lifted her arm up, and Kaiya moved closer to her, snuggling up against her chest.

Angel draped her arm over her along with the cover, then rested her hand on Kaiya's back to pat it until she fell asleep. She could feel Kaiya's breathing labor out, assumably trying to match it at the same pace that Angel's was at, which caused her to smile.

"I can't fall asleep." Kaiya whispered to her again, so Angel opened her eyes, coincidentally at the same time that she did.

"What's the matter?"

"I have to ask you something but daddy told me not to but I really want to," She continued whispering, this time with a small frown on her face as if she was worried about something.

Angel didn't want to go against Roman's wishes about whatever it was, but since it was just a question from a seven year old-it couldn't be that serious, could it? What would it hurt if she answered?

"You can ask. I won't tell him." She moved Kaiya's curly hair behind her ears so that she could see her face better, a frown now on her face as well.

"This one time, I got in trouble at school for talking too much and I got put on red and I had to go to time out too," She paused.

"And this girl named Mariah said that I talk so much and that's probably why my mommy went away. Daddy said that's not true so I tried not to get mad at her but I accidentally hit her and got in trouble."

"Daddy said that some kids just don't have mommy's and that it's normal, but all of my friends have one and sometimes it makes me sad that I only have my grandma." She paused again, reaching up to wipe her eyes that leaked with tears.

"And I know you can't be my mommy 'cause daddy said that too, and so I won't ask 'cause you didn't get pregnant with me. But next week is the mommy-daughter breakfast and I wanted to ask if you wanted to come with me? We can just pretend, 'cause I know you're not my real mom."

Kaiya finished ranting while tears still fell down her cheeks, and Angel didn't say anything. Her feelings were hurt that this topic made Kaiya so upset, and she felt even worse that she couldn't really do anything about this since it was obvious that Roman didn't want her to go to the event at Kaiya's school.