10

Angel mumbled an 'excuse me' as she passed by a random couple to get to an empty table, shifting the bin she was holding to rest in her left hand so that she could grab the dishes with her right one and stack them neatly on top of one another

Her noise cancelling headphones were over her head, and though she usually preferred not to play any audio when they were on, Jhene Aiko's Spotless Mind played at a low volume.

She'd been clearing tables and stocking since an hour ago in order to keep her mind busy, but it wasn't really helping. It felt like she'd breakdown into tears any moment now as her thoughts started to get the best of her. She didn't even know why she was upset.

The last thing she remembered before going into her own world was taking a girl's order at the counter, and as soon as she finished the common greeting she said to everyone, the girl and the friend she came with looked at each other and laughed.

Angel still didn't know what she'd said that caused them to laugh and then followed up with making weird faces at her for the time that they stayed, and she'd been replaying the scene in her head since it had happened, wondering what she'd said or done that was socially awkward.

That wasn't the first time something like that had happened, but it stressed her out every time. She wasn't stupid, she knew when people were making fun of her more than half the time-though sometimes it took her a minute to realize that they were. What she didn't know was the reason why.

She already didn't do well in social settings, and things like that made her hate that she even tried.

Feeling someone tapping her shoulder, she was snapped out of her thoughts after realizing that someone was trying to get her attention.

"Girl you really can't hear shit when you got them on, huh? I been calling you for like two minutes." One of her co-workers, who happened to also be her cousin, spoke to her with her hand resting on her hip.

"Sorry. What's wrong?"

"Yo' man waiting for you at the front. He said to tell you to come here." Madisyn told her, and Angel frowned in confusion. She checked her Apple watch to see that it was almost three in the afternoon, and Roman was supposed to be at work right now, so what was he doing here?

Angel walked past Madisyn after thanking her, heading for the front where Roman was. She saw him leaning against a wall with his hands in the front pocket of his hoodie, his eyes already on her.

"What's the matter mama? What you got these on for?" He pushed one side of her headphones off so that she could hear him better, and then he wrapped his arms around her.

"Because I'm sad. What are you doing here? You're supposed to be working today." She looked up at him with a crease in her eyebrows, frowning.

"What you sad for?" He ignored her question, his eyebrows furrowing as well.