𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟦: 𝑀𝓎 𝑅𝑒𝒹 𝑅𝑜𝓈𝑒

Giyu POV:

I knelt down, picking up the discarded rose that Makomo had picked out for me. I added it carefully into my bouquet that I had prepared for Shinobu.

Sabito had kind of implied the gesture was a little cliche and cringe, but he didn't stop me. I hoped Shinobu wouldn't throw the bouquet and laugh at me. 

Yesterday, when I had told Tsutako my idea, she'd been totally supportive and even helped me fold the bouquet paper. She was happy that I was 'connecting with people' and 'living my life.' She'd always said I was old enough to get someone, but I had always been shy and didn't really know the first thing about romance.

But after I read the romance novel Tsutako lended me, I knew roses were the go-to thing. In the book, all the guys were bringing the girl roses, and she was overjoyed. Surely this was something Shinobu would like? 

When I told Makomo, she just seemed happy that I let her help me with finding the perfect flowers. I did see a frown flash on her face when I told her about my idea, but it was gone so quickly I'd probably imagined it.

Now I was tying a purple ribbon on the bouquet. I'd heard purple was her favourite colour.

I carried the bouquet carefully, trying to find Shinobu.

Suddenly, I saw Shinobu with Kenzo, a popular guy at school. She was laughing and Kenzo was flirting. There was a light blush on Shinobu's cheeks.

The bouquet dropped to the floor, the ribbon untying and the roses scattering onto the grass.

Shinobu POV:

I laughed at Kenzo's witty joke. He was the most popular boy in school, with swept-back blonde hair, hazel eyes and a muscular build. He was also very rich and handsome.

I felt my face turn red. It was getting a little stuffy in my sweater. I knew I should have worn my summer uniform today, but the weather app had said it was going to be cold. Stupid app.

Suddenly, I heard a thump near me, and I spun around. A scattered, abandoned bouquet of beautiful red roses lay on the ground. I looked more carefully and noticed Tomioka, a boy in my class, fleeing the scene.

Was that his? I stared at the bouquet. It really was very pretty. Probably for Mitsuri or Akira, I thought with a little bit of disappointment. I would have liked to take that bouquet home.

I wondered why Tomioka was running away. Maybe he'd chickened out? Boys really were very shy sometimes and Tomioka was pretty reserved during class.

I didn't know him very well, but he was smart and good at PE. A lot of girls also secretly thought he was a 'loner wolf type of handsome'. I once had a friend who gushed about his 'deep ocean eyes' and 'midnight-black hair'. She wanted to be a poet.

Since I'd never looked at him carefully, I hadn't really noticed his features until now when I thought about it. Although he wasn't the obvious kind of handsome, he really did have good looks.

And he's not cliche like this stupid Ken doll, I thought, shooting a look at Kenzo, maybe I should help him out. After all, Mitsuri and Akira are my best friends.

"Sorry, Kenzo, I've got to go," I fake-smiled at Mr. Ken Doll, "Catch you later!" I quickly walked off and Kenzo waved, looking wistful. 

I discreetly picked up the bouquet and rearranged it, tying the bow back together. It was purple, my favourite colour. I hurried off to find Tomioka.

I found him sitting under a tree, deep in thought and looking frazzled.

"Hey hey~ Tomioka, is it?" I said, sitting beside him. He jumped, his blue eyes widening. He really did have ocean eyes.

"O-oh, um. Yes." He replied awkwardly, staring at me, then noticed the bouquet in my hands. He immediantly blushed.

"I saw you running away from this bouquet. I found it on the floor," I explained quickly, "I wondered if it was yours?"

"Y-yes, it's mine," he replied, his face red, "I... don't need it though. You can.. keep it."

"Oh." I was pleasantly happy. I'd felt a strange longing for that bouquet ever since I'd seen it abandoned on the ground, "Are you sure? It wasn't for someone?"

"No..." Tomioka turned away, trying to hide his super red face.

"Oh... if you're sure," I said, standing up, "Thank you! Sayounara!"

I left, clutching the bouquet, admiring the blood-red roses.

I wondered who it was really for.