𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟣: 𝐵𝑒𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒫𝒾𝒸𝓃𝒾𝒸

Shinobu POV:

At the picnic place:

"Oh, hey, Makomo!" I turned around from setting up the picnic mat to Makomo, whom walked towards me, bearing a basket full of goodies.

"Hi! I'm sorry I'm early, I just made the cake a little too early but I wanted it to be fresh for the picnic, so I thought I'd let it warm under the sun here. It's a really nice day!" Makomo explained as she set her basket on the grass and helped me with the mat.

"That's fine! Everyone else should be here in around twenty minutes. I brought a lot of food, Aoi was super tired after making it," I laughed as I straightened the mat.

"Ah, it must be nice to have a personal cook," Makomo commented, "I made all the food I brought myself."

I felt a sting of annoyance. Even though she probably didn't mean to act like I was self-centered, it still had that effect.

"Yeah, well, I didn't get Aoi to make everything," I said, trying to keep a neutral tone, "I made a bento that me and Giyu will share. It's a tradition to eat homemade bentos at our anniversary."

"But I thought this was your first anniversary? You guys have only been dating for one month, right?" Makomo asked, confused.

Oh, this girl was getting on my nerves.

"We made it a tradition yesterday," I said shortly.

"I guess. So did Giyu confess to you here?" Makomo shot a look at the hill.

"Yeah. He chose it! It's so romantic, don't you think?" I smirked, "It's got the perfect view of the forest and the sun."

I knew Makomo had a huge crush on Giyu, but I wasn't about to let her get him. And now, it was my turn to get on her nerves. Make her extra-jealous, concealed in friendly girl-talk. Use her own tactic on her.

"Last time, he mainly brought all the good food," I said dreamily, "This time I want to suprise him with my homemade bento!"

"How sweet," Makomo politely smiled, but there was hatred in her eyes, "You must have a really great relationship. Did I mention a week ago he walked me home?"

"Ah, he walks me home everyday whenever he can," I replied, smirking, "And once he even bought a strawberry ice-cream for me after school."

It wasn't true, of course. He had brought snacks sometimes, but it was mostly me who provided meals. But I knew the lie was worth it because Makomo's eyes were burning.

"You know," Makomo started to unpack her basket, "A few years ago, Giyu once told me his type."

"Oh yeah?" I frowned. I knew it was going to be a lie, but I didn't have a good comeback ready.

"He said, 'I want someone kind and caring. Someone with brilliant eyes and a similair upbringing.' So I asked, 'What kind of colour would you prefer the eyes to be'?" Makomo stared off into the distance, smiling eerily, "He said, 'emerald green. The perfect shade.'"

"Well, obviously he'd changed his mind," I retorted, "Cause I've got brilliant purple eyes."

"They look a little lifeless," Makomo commented, "No offense."

I gritted my teeth. "Makomo, please don't do this."

"Do what?" she asked in a mock suprise tone.

"I know you like Giyu." I said, trying to conceal the layer of fury beneath my words, "But back off. You're not going to get him by being passive aggressive to me. We're going to be together forever."

"I see," Makomo murmered, "So that's what you think."

She turned around to look at me. "Well, the truth is, Shinobu," she sighed, "I do like Giyu. But I won't do anything while you two are dating. I wouldn't break a couple. I believe I will get over it eventually. I've already told Sabito and he tells me that after a while, I will accept that Giyu is taken. I respect your relationship. Please forgive me for my actions earlier."

"Oh," I said, taken aback by Makomo's confession, "Well. That sounds more like the real Makomo."

"I don't know what took over me," she said, "I guess it was just jealousy. I haven't really experienced it before. It was like a secret force told me to take dark action. I'm actually quite a different person without that force."

"I'm sure we can still be friends," I smiled, "You look like a really interesting person."

"You too," Makomo grinned, "Oh look- they're here."

I looked down the hill and saw Giyu, Sabito, Akira and Mitsuri smiling and waving to me as they made their way up.

"Moshi moshi!" I called, smiling. Everyone chorused back a greeting and started setting up.